Just applied for the Juniper Visa......

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Spellcaster, May 31, 2009.

1. Spellcaster macrumors newbie

Thank you for your application. Unfortunately, the bank is not able to offer you credit card financing for your purchase today.

Please do not complete another application. Further information about the reason for this decision will be mailed to your Permanent Home Address by the bank in the next 10 days. Please do not contact Apple, as Apple does not know the reason for this decision.

This is what I was told when I checked the status of my application on Juniper's website.....does this mean I've been rejected?

2. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

3. genmic macrumors regular

You most definitely have. But it's okay, I was too!

I had no credit score at the time, so I was expecting the denial. I called to recon, mentioned that I was making a large Apple store purchase, and was approved for $2000. Payed it off in 1.5 months to avoid any accruing finance charges.

Try this number for a reconsideration attempt:

Juniper: 866-408-4064 (Credit Analyst)

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

That's some rejection. :D

5. Spellcaster thread starter macrumors newbie

Well that sucks. Oh well. Off to Best Buy! (Brother has a best buy card, so I will be using it).

6. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

The Juniper card sucks anyway, you're better off without. I've had one for a few years fixing to close it.

The fees are outrageous, much better choices out there.

7. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Heard a lot of nasty stories about that card; in fact there was one mentioned here today I think.

9. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

Is it that bad?

10. PolySciSurfer macrumors 6502

That card sucks! Be happy you didn't get it. I had it and the fees and charges were ridiculous. Go with a bank card, those are the best. IMHO.

11. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

No offense, but if your credit is so bad you were rejected for a credit card, I'd think twice before financing some expensive gizmo at a HUGE interest rate... unless said gizmo can earn you a lot of money to pay off the financing ASAP.

12. Spellcaster thread starter macrumors newbie

....I turned 18 three days ago, therefore, have no credit. I'm assuming this is the reason I was not approved.

13. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

If you would have been approved it would have only been a $320-$500 dollar limit anyway. Are you a student at uni? Perhaps your bookstore offers financing? Thats what I did with my first macbook pro (very little credit right out of high school, few bills w/ lots of disposable income. Took three months no interest , got Macbook Pro and iPod. Sold iPod (pocketed rebate cash and ebay cash), then held the total amount in savings account...although in hindsight I probably should have invested)

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Bad way to roll in adulthood IMHO.

15. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Check with your bank; they may offer a student card that would better suit your purposes.

It's good that you're thinking ahead. Best to build credit ASAP, but remember to pay your bill in full each and every month. :)

16. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Well, the more you apply, the more it hurts your credit. I guess they're just trying to help.

17. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Ouch!:eek:

18. lasermn macrumors newbie

Multiple Problems with Juniper

go here for links to numerous message boards where people express their concerns/problems with the Juniper Card:

19. AdamLikesMusic macrumors 6502

The best route to starting your credit is to open a checking/savings account at a bank, with a fairly decent balance, and then apply for a credit card through them. (I'm only 18, and applied for my card through my bank, and was approved immediately for a decently high limit, surprisingly low interest rate, with no credit history to speak of, other than my savings and checking account that I'd kept in good standing since opening them)

I'm actually going to be purchasing my MacBook with the card, though it's automatically paid in full every billing cycle :p

But yeah, I'd be glad if I wasn't approved for this card. There's much better options out there! :)

20. mattcube64 macrumors 65816

mattcube64

Yup, like others have said, there are better options out there.

I opened a checking account in my own name when I was 16. I always kept a pretty high balance in good standing with my bank. I also had a savings account that always had a few hundred bucks in it. After turning 18, I purchased a car with a large loan at a decent interest rate that I received from a family friend. I make sure to make all the payments on time, and it's slowly been building my credit. Finally, several months after I turned 19, when I knew I had a car loan in good standing, as well as a checking account, I applied for a student Citi card online. I got a pretty decent limit along with a pretty good interest rate (MUCH better than Juniper's :p) I made sure to pay off a good portion of it each month. And since then, in the last year, I have been approved for two separate limit increases, as well as a lower interest rate, and another card from Discover.

So now, at 20, with the very little time I've had to build my credit, I've got myself two credit cards (the most I want to have. I plan on sticking with these for a long time) with decent limits and rates. Are they the best ever? Certainly not. But, for my age, I'm pretty happy.

Meh, don't mean to give you my life story. But, someone else helped me get started building credit with some advice. Figure maybe I can help pass along the favor? :)

21. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Ditto to the two above replies. Build up a savings buffer, pay your obligations (e.g. rent, utilities, car payments) on time, and if you use a credit card...pay it off every month. A credit card is not the way to finance anything. In my time, you called those who gave you easy money and charged 20% interest rates "loan sharks."

22. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

Think of a credit card as a month loan with no fees. Pay off in full and it is free money. The cards with rewards give you free stuff too so that's a plus. If you go to college you'll likely be able to get some cards. If not, then you'll need a source of income.

Don't apply to too many cards either as your score will take a hit.