Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

petitrouge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2009
haha, the keyboard. i meant to get wireless. bang head. so i call the biz team who set my order up @ my apple store (1 mile away) and ask if i can upgrade/exchange that. NO!!! they would have to return the WHOLE THING! seriously!?!? ugh.

devil in the details, huh.

CaptainChunk

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
haha, the keyboard. i meant to get wireless. bang head. so i call the biz team who set my order up @ my apple store (1 mile away) and ask if i can upgrade/exchange that. NO!!! they would have to return the WHOLE THING! seriously!?!? ugh.

devil in the details, huh.

I think that's because the standard wired keyboard is a pack-in item that comes standard with every Mac Pro.

philbeeney

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2004
Vankleek Hill
It's always best to have a wired one around, you can always get a wireless later.

I'll second this. I have a PowerBook which is used as a desktop (sits on a stand, etc) and the Apple Bluetooth keyboard I had packed up suddenly. Changed the batteries, nothing. Faffed around and took it apart, put it back together, nothing.

Taking the laptop off the stand with all the cables and wires to use the built in keyboard was too much of a PITA, so I went a bought one of the Apple flat wired keyboards which I'm currently using. It's quite handy especially with two USB ports built in.

petitrouge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2009
okay, thanks for pointing that out. :) i'm coming from PC land and one thing i'm sick of, are the wires. the freakin' wires required for my wireless microsoft keyboard )*#&$#@$#.

i'm in pursuit of less wires, when at all possible. :D

mac pro came 2 days earlier than i thought!!! my RAM + SSD drive aren't here until tomorrow...

Mike225

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
SF BAY
okay, thanks for pointing that out. :) i'm coming from PC land and one thing i'm sick of, are the wires. the freakin' wires required for my wireless microsoft keyboard )*#&$#@$#.

i'm in pursuit of less wires, when at all possible. :D

mac pro came 2 days earlier than i thought!!! my RAM + SSD drive aren't here until tomorrow...

Uh, what? Use a bluetooth keyboard then... No wires on a Mac or "PC". If you don't have bluetooth on your old computer then don't complain, because thats your fault.

Gh0stKiller

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2010
Uh, what? Use a bluetooth keyboard then... No wires on a Mac or "PC". If you don't have bluetooth on your old computer then don't complain, because thats your fault.

:( You're not gonna make a lot of friends like that, Negative Nancy.

Inconsequential

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2007
The bluetooth in the 2009 (and I assume the 2010) is awful.

The bluetooth keyboard and the magic mouse don't work properly even when the distance is less than two feet.

Wired kb + mighty mouse + 100m USB BT ftw.

sboerup

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2009
couldn't live without my keypad, FAIL on the wireless part. Plus, like others have said, always good to have a wired, it gives you 2 extra USB ports as well!

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
I would have liked to have gotten wireless too, but alas, I need that pesky number pad. Sure I could get a logitech keyboard, but those are expensive, plus the apple one is just so nice to type on

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
:cool:
couldn't live without my keypad, FAIL on the wireless part. Plus, like others have said, always good to have a wired, it gives you 2 extra USB ports as well!

Yeaaaa, I thought like this for a while too, but a simple and great iPhone app called "NumPad" solved that requirement easily. Only $4 too :cool:

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
:cool:

Yeaaaa, I thought like this for a while too, but a simple and great iPhone app called "NumPad" solved that requirement easily. Only $4 too :cool:

Doesn't solve the lack of full size arrow keys, or the other buttons between the numpad and the main keyboard.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Doesn't solve the lack of full size arrow keys, or the other buttons between the numpad and the main keyboard.

The app has those buttons too ;)

Just swipe over a screen on the left to find the middle buttons.

petitrouge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2009

uh, yeah, i don't, hence, new one. but i didn't buy this computer for its bluetooth, but i'll be happy to use it! ;)

i won't touch the mouse. i use a tablet.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I did the same thing OP. I called Apple and they had to re-do my order (thanks to my credit card company) and when they did I didn't catch that they put the wired keyboard back on.

Oh well not like it would have been my main keyboard anyway. I mostly just used it for my iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.