Just became 6502a. Why no avatar?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by MinEderPlayz, Oct 4, 2014.

1. MinEderPlayz macrumors 6502a

MinEderPlayz

Hi I just noticed I hit 500 posts, thus I can get an avatar now. Do I just like have to wait a few hours or do I have to do something else now? The only option on the avatar page is No Avatar.

2. millerj123 macrumors 65816

It looks like you just hit 500 this morning. According to multiple other posts, it sometimes takes a few hours for the databases to sync up.

Congrats, by the way!

3. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Congrats on reaching 500 posts.

It can take several hours before the data base catches up with - and is able to sync - such details and you should be able to upload an avatar then.

Having said that, just because you will be able to upload an avatar doesn't mean you actually have to. In my own case, I only did so once I got involved in the WW games - which was easily more than a good two years after I had acquired the possibility of being able to upload an avatar.

4. millerj123 macrumors 65816

I'm pretty sure the socially contractual rule is that you do, in fact, have to put in an avatar as soon as you are eligible.

5. MinEderPlayz thread starter macrumors 6502a

MinEderPlayz

Thanks a lot! I wasn't sure if I missed a setting or such.

----------

Thanks as well ^^ :)

6. Scepticalscribe, Oct 4, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2014

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Actually, I rather doubt that.

The only 'social contract' that I can see is the need to be able to have a readily identifiable online persona and presence and the option to do so visually, which is permitted at 500 posts.

In fact, I know quite a few members who have not availed of the fact that they could upload an avatar for years (some still haven't done so); and, as I already noted, I didn't upload one for over two years after I was eligible to do so, and it was only participation in the WW games that prompted me to do so; it wasn't something that bothered me much at all.

Now, I fully understand that for many members, being able to upload an avatar, to sort of cement an online identity, the very minute one can do so is of considerable importance, and good luck to them. However, not everyone is all that exercised by the matter.

7. Alrescha macrumors 68020

Indeed, some of us have all of that turned off in Options... :)

A.

8. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Yes, I had wondered about that.

At the very least, they are rather greedy of or hungry for resources when the site is exceptionally busy, or when internet access is not entirely reliable or fast.

9. C DM macrumors Westmere

Some of us sure do. Don't really see any point of seeing some random picture that means nothing to me.

10. chown33 macrumors 604

Really?

Ruh roh.
    [​IMG]

11. millerj123 macrumors 65816

Well...

I haven't, so I'd be in trouble. I guess it's not as funny as I'd hoped.

Sorry, carry on.