Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

omar4578

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 3, 2011
SoCal
so like the title says, i just became a developer, paid the 100 bucks and all that stuff, i did the certificate thing and all that stuff, but i dont see where people are saying that they can see ios 6 beta on their updates in the phones settings...

i registered my device already with the UDID and the certificate, is there any piece of the puzzle im missing...

also a friend of mine mentioned that if you dont do something to your device first before you install ios 6 it will lock up, or something like that...

any help :) thanks...

also id like not to restore my phone, if i can update to ios 6 without having to restore that would be the BEST!!!

thanks again

Comeagain?

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2011
Spokane, WA
Can't update to a new major version without a restore, and major updates don't show up in Settings, they are in the iOS Dev Center.

Comment

omar4578

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 3, 2011
SoCal
Can't update to a new major version without a restore, and major updates don't show up in Settings, they are in the iOS Dev Center.

thank you very much, will a simple backup of data put back all of my texts, apps and contacts after i do the update to ios 6 or will i need to start fresh?

Comment

rmeadejr

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2009
San Francisco-Twin Peaks
What I did was....first do a iCloud backup, install ios6 and when you are setting your phone back up, just restore from that iCloud back-up. Everything worked great.

Comment

omar4578

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 3, 2011
SoCal
What I did was....first do a iCloud backup, install ios6 and when you are setting your phone back up, just restore from that iCloud back-up. Everything worked great.

awesome!! all your texts, bookmarks etc.- literally everything was back?

----------

He's just asking for some help, there's no reason to be rude.

Was there any need? Really?

Everyone is a learner at everything once. This place is supposed to exist as a community to help others, not be obnoxious toward them.

thanks bros, i appreciate it :)

Comment

macbook pro i5

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2011
New Zealand
because i plan on learning...

He's just asking for some help, there's no reason to be rude.
I am sorry, to OP I was just thinking that it sounded like someone that bought it to just try out iOS 6,to answer your question I would think that you would have restore as new,because the new integration features and such might npot work as well??

Comment

rmeadejr

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2009
San Francisco-Twin Peaks
I am sorry, to OP I was just thinking that it sounded like someone that bought it to just try out iOS 6,to answer your question I would think that you would have restore as new,because the new integration features and such might npot work as well??

Everything was working great when I restored from my iCloud backup

Comment

omar4578

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 3, 2011
SoCal
Yes....I was just testing it and it worked. But I like to start fresh when updating my phone so I restored it as a new phone anyway

makes sense, i might do this

no worries :)

yea ive been planning for a while to become a dev since id like to make my own app eventually, even bought a 500 page book on ios development..lol

so i guess im screwed, ill just start fresh thanks ill just try icloud for now

Comment

macbook pro i5

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2011
New Zealand
Everything was working great when I restored from my iCloud backup

Interesting I didn't think it would work due to new APi's and how things are managed more efficiently,and once again sorry OP.

----------

MBP: Calm yourself. Everyone starts somewhere. I was the same way when I bought it. It just takes time to go through everything.

I did apologize,its just that I am sleep deprived and I can't think to much lol.

Comment

macbook pro i5

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2011
New Zealand
I was actually shocked it worked as well...

Good to know,I have been developing an app with the Xcode on the mac app store and I have a free developer account so I think I will pay up for the iOS program so I can test it on iOS 5 and 6,and thanks for sharing your experience with it it helped me:)

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.