Just been on Phone to Apple Support *No Update to fix Problems*

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mrmarky, Jul 14, 2008.

1. mrmarky macrumors member

Apparently there will be no update to fix problems they suggest to reinstall firmware or apps and said no other users are experiencing problems.

Go Figure that !

2. aethelbert macrumors 601

They'll update it, I promise. But not today or tomorrow.

3. cuanurse macrumors regular

I agree- there will definitely be a "fixes bugs and stability" eventually.

4. 4lp1 macrumors newbie

There will be always updates. Perfect (what doesn't need updates) + electronics is impossible equation..
    Where did you call? 'Cause it's not sure that they know all about apple's updates..

5. mrmarky thread starter macrumors member

they just said there 2.0 firmware is working as fine, any new updates will address new features but they don't acknowledge any issues with crashing etc, there just blaming how we have set it up or installed stuff.

but to date no 2.1 was planned what so ever to address crashing, i telephoned there US number - they did say a update maybe due out around spring with new features.

U.S. iPod and Mac technical support: 1-800-APL-CARE (1-800-275-2273)

6. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

All iPods get semi-regular updates, this will be no different. But their phone support people aren't going to know until an update is actually released.

So far my iPod Touch has been great, but obviously some people have reported problems. I never had any problems with my old iPod Classic, but there were widely reported bugs with that (as well as a couple of updates to remedy most of them.)

7. iRondo macrumors member

Based on my own experience working in tech support/customer service call centers, we actually know very little, and Apple wouldn't be too different I would hazard a guess. As if the staff are going to know precisely what's going on in the development department, possibly in a completely different part of the country, on a day-to-day basis. If anything, the rep you spoke to was speaking the truth when they said that there are no planned updates - just means they, personally, don't know about it!

I would put money on, and guarantee that, there will be an update to fix many problems in the near future. It just makes sense. I've got problems too since getting 2.0, but it's just my iPod so who cares. It'll be nice when they fix it but until then, there are more important things going on around you!

8. mrmarky thread starter macrumors member

http://www.tuaw.com/2008/07/14/did-apple-set-developers-up-for-failure/

Anonymous developer sources are reporting that they've been poring over crash logs and discovering that the reported crash has nothing to do with their application. There's a growing consensus that Apple has released a highly unstable "final" version of the 2.0 firmware. So, maybe it's more of a shame that Apple, who laid the groundwork for a multitude of useful and exciting applications, rushed development and failed to build a better foundation.

Personally, I haven't seen the crash logs, and I am -- legitimately, in my opinion -- accepting the word of veteran developers. I also can't speak for individual applications, there are some pretty shoddy offerings in the App Store which may have their own reasons for crashing (i.e. "I look like I was written by a Windows developer, I can't show my face!"). There are also several applications whose requisite servers were overloaded initially, but are getting back on their feet now. But for a lot of the random crashes, it has nothing to do with the app itself ... so, before you write that complaint email, check your tone ... you might be getting snarky with the wrong party.