Just bought 15" MBP... questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by preisslers, Nov 7, 2011.

1. preisslers macrumors newbie

So I just bought a used 15" MBP on Amazon. It was listed as MD318LL/A, but after reading the comments I suspect it was this model: MC721LL/A. I only paid $1180 on it and I have a $200 credit card cash back offer, so it's a decent price I think.

I'm going to be using the laptop both at school and also on my desk at home. My question is about pairing my keyboard/trackpad with the computer. In the past if the laptop was away from the bluetooth keyboard/trackpad, it'd be difficult to reconnect them. Are there any tips for this? If it becomes a problem I might just buy a wired keyboard so I don't have to deal with the problem.

Also, any recommendations for a stand to use while using the computer on a desk?

Thanks for your help!

2. ET3SW macrumors regular

3. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

Congrats!

4. preisslers thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, it's the bluetooth Apple keyboard and trackpad.

5. pete1 macrumors newbie

When using the Mac like this, how would you do a cold boot without opening up the mac to press the power button?

6. preisslers thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't think you would actually turn the computer off. But instead put it in sleep mode.

7. ET3SW macrumors regular

You can't. You actually have to open it up and do a cold boot. I just boot it prior to putting it in there.

8. preisslers thread starter macrumors newbie

9. raremage macrumors 6502a

10. ET3SW macrumors regular

Haha didn't see your response. I have never seen that issue. With me i do use a bluetooth mouse and keyboard but when i travel i always shut my MBP down before moving it. So when i boot it up at home my bluetooth devices are right there and on.

Sorry i can't be of more help

11. preisslers thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, thanks :) It was a real pain when I had an external monitor before. So... I went out and bought an iMac to fight back! Well now I'm selling the iMac because I now realize that was wasteful and going to my previous setup... :)

12. ET3SW macrumors regular

Yeah very understandable. How much do you move around with your MBP? If you restart it does it have any trouble detecting your bluetooth devices?

13. preisslers thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm fairly mobile. I take it with me to school 3 days a week. And then I go away for 4-5 days at a time about twice a month. Whenever I would return, it'd be a PITA to repair my trackpad. I don't think the wireless keyboard was as much of a problem.

I just like things to work which is why I said screw it and put all that money into a iMac. Now that I got such a great deal on the MBP, I'm looking to sell all and net 1k in savings.

14. dwag3 macrumors newbie

dwag3

With my magic mouse and bluetooth keyboard, when I bring my MBP home for the day as soon as it wakes from sleep the keyboard and mouse are ready to go.

15. preisslers thread starter macrumors newbie

Interesting! I noticed with my previous MBP, the fans would frequently spin up when run in clamshell mode. Do you guys have the same experience?