Just Bought 2 2TB Harddrives at Frys for $139 a piece

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by OddThomas, Mar 5, 2010.

1. OddThomas macrumors regular

OddThomas

My plan is to RAID0 them tonight, will report in when done.

My general plan is to plug these guys into external esata dock, RAID them and do a backup from current 3 disk RAID to new RAID then swap the drives. If the swapping causes issues I will wipe disks, recreate and restore from Time Machine.

If anyone out there has had issues with the Hitachi 2TB Deskstar 7K let me know.

2. GMink macrumors regular

GMink

I've got one and like it. Fast and quiet drive.

See Tom's Hardware for drive comparison charts

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2009-3.5-desktop-hard-drive-charts/PCMark-Vantage,1017.html

3. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I have two of these in a Drobo along with two Seagate 2TB 5900RPM drives. They work fine but run noticeably warmer than the Seagates.

4. OddThomas thread starter macrumors regular

OddThomas

Ok all done, worked like a champ, i love a smart OS. I also have lots of love for this device that enable an easy copy from one RAID set to the other.

http://www.amazon.com/eSATA-SATA-Ex...2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1267899776&sr=8-2

As for heat, right now the WD OS drive is at 91F and the Hitachi are at 97 and 91, so i am not seeing a lot of difference from my WD drives.. how hot are your Seagates? btw.. i am running a backup from the Hitachis to time machine right now so they are working.

I have 2.79 TB free disk space now :)

They seem just as quiet as my WDs were. Also the 2 Hitachi RAID set is slightly faster than my 3 disk WD set. I did not expect that, i expected it to be a little slower.