Just bought 2 Apple TVs and had a question.

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by iTouch, Jan 24, 2014.

1. iTouch macrumors 6502

I couldn't find the information online, so here goes. I'm wanted to cut my TWC TV service off. The bill keeps going up and I can't justify keeping it. I decided on getting 2 Apple TVs and stream my TV services. I'll probably sign up with Netflix as well. But I wanted KORTV as well. It's Korean TV app that's subscription based. Do I need two accounts or can I stream with 2 Apple TVs with one account? Anyone with experience? I know Netflix allows 2 devices to stream at the same time.

2. DaPhatty macrumors member

No idea, but all of the other services only require one account so I'd imagine KORTV is the same.

That said, all of the other TV streaming services REQUIRE you to have an active Cable subscription. You may find that KORTV has the same requirement which will negate your attempt to "cut the cord." I've run into this same problem and have just learned to live with it.

3. Jnesbitt82 macrumors 6502

Jnesbitt82

If I understand your question correctly, You only need one account. Now in order to play KORTV through your Apple tv, you will probably have to use the Airplay option. I've had this issue with wanting to view other content that the Apple tv couldn't access. So Airplay was the only option. In addition, Netflix's $7.99 service allows you to stream on two devices simultaneously and they also offer an $11.99 option in order to stream on four devices.

4. iTouch thread starter macrumors 6502

It was recently added to Apple TV, so it's available from the start. I know with Amazon Prime videos you would need to start it with AirPlay. I guess I'll find Saturday since they are scheduled to be delivered then. Hoping one account is fine and I can stream with both Apple TVs. If all works out as planned then I can cut my TWC. Not happy with their service to begin with.

5. iTouch thread starter macrumors 6502

Looks like it works pretty well. They don't have the typical networks like on TWC for Korean TV but I get 10 channels free. Will do the subscription part next week. Also ordered both Apple TVs from Amazon and one of them seemed to be used. Called up Amazon and they offered a a partial refund.

6. scottw324 macrumors 6502

To help answer your question, yes you can have one acct and stream on multiple devices. Maybe not all at the same time, but you can watch something in your living room, the turn it off and go to the bedroom and pick it up there. Same for anything you load into iTunes. If you get plex for your computer or I devices you can airplay stuff that isn't in iTunes but on your computer. I do the same thing with the app Airvideo. There is a server portion on the desktop Mini upstairs that streams all the video content to my houses ATVs and iPads. I cut the cable for about 2 yrs, we got it back, Basic at least, because the wife wanted the news. Streaming news, not click on a story in the CNN app and then click on another one when it is over. Something like the Skynews app on the ATV is what she wants.

Otherwise I never watch the tv. Everything I watch is either downloaded via torrent or on netflix or amazon instant video. Hate actual tv since I want to watch what I want to watch when I want to watch it. Not when TWC wants to let me see it.

7. iTouch thread starter macrumors 6502

After a day use, it failed. I set this up for my parents. And they called me tonight. It was no good since they couldn't get MBC, SBS, CBS, KBS etc. So I'll have one Apple TV to sell. I'm taking the other one with me since Airplay seemed pretty convenient, when I used it. And Plex is a great option that I will set up soon. So looking at a cheaper option for my parents. I think Direct TV might be cheaper though it's a 2 year contract. Will have to spend more time setting this up for my parents.

8. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Most of those channels should be available OTA (over the air) with minimal effort.

9. iTouch thread starter macrumors 6502

Haven't been able to. Plus this is for my parents and they don't know how to use a computer. I need a simple box for them to watch Korean TV on. So I decided on a TVPad 3. I have to set it up. Buying one for now to test and if it's good then I'll buy another. I hate how these TV providers force you to buy basic/family etc just to get Korean TV.

10. JasmineColroe macrumors newbie

JasmineColroe

Same Issue

Even I took the Apple TV for my new Home and I have same problem, it has different channels of no use. How do I unsubscribe.

11. AlkFoo macrumors member

Don't give up so easy. I cut cable about 2 years ago myself, and go with Netflix (4 screens) and Hulu+. TV monthly expense- $20.

KORTv is subscription that you'll get on ATV- if you have problems with accessing it, it's probably as simple as putting back in username and password. You can leave that with your parents.

As for news and major networks. I have a $20 HD rabbit ears antennae- I've lived in 2 major networks over the last 2 years, and in one (Califonia) got over 30 channels (OTA- again, over the air) including ABC, NBC, CBS, and FOX and in the other (Texas)- got the same major networks as well as about 20 more stations. Funny thing people find out with OTA, the HD quality is better than with a cable box.

Your goals seem pretty basic, unlike others cutting cable (pro and college sports are the hardest to get without a cable package, BUT doable), you want KORTv (on ATV- Apple TV) and local channels- again, $20 rabbit ear antennae that connects to coax port on TV. You would simply go between "inputs" on the TV (either HDMI for ATV to TV input and use TV remote to go to channels).

If ATV isn't working right, than maybe you send it back to Amazon for a new one.

12. iTouch thread starter macrumors 6502

Unsubscribe? I'm guessing from Apple TV. I actually bought KORTV subscriptions. They oversold their product. I contacted iTunes customer service the same day and asked for a refund. Rep made an exception and refunded after 5 days. I would email them and explain you're not happy with the subscription service and you should be fine.

----------

KORTV is horrible. All the free channels are "church" channels. The paid channels suck. I learned my lesson. So researched different IPTV options and TVPad 3 for my parent's needs ($250 per box and I need 2) is the best option. If anyone else wants to chime in that would be great. I actually use OTA and stream most of my content. That's great for my needs. But my parents need these paid Korean TV channels. And yes I returned one Apple TV and keeping the other one for me. Airplay is really convenient.

13. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

have you explored xbmc? I dont think they have something as specific as KORTV, but I love XBMC. 3rd party addons give me access to pretty much all the entertainment I need.

I have it set up on my JB ATV2 (which is priced ~$200 nowadays), but you can load xbmc on quite a number of devices

14. iTouch thread starter macrumors 6502

I tried it before. It's too cumbersome for my parents to use. And I don't think you can jailbreak ATV3, so not an option at this point.

Also noticed that jailbroken ATV2 are going for $200 to $300 range. A bit surprising at first but then not so much after looking at what you get.