Just bought a 13" MBP and already have battery issues?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dilbaggins, Aug 19, 2009.

1. dilbaggins macrumors member

I just bought a 13" MBP on Monday and at first the battery was charging fully to 100% but now the battery only charges up to 99%. Even when my MBP remains connected to the wall socket the battery reads 99%. Is there anyway to fix this?

2. sab150 macrumors regular

hi i have just bought mine a couple of days ago.. the 99% is quite normal but you should check your battery life using a program called "coconutbattery" and post up your original mah figure and what your current figure is as mine has dropped around 400mah in a day which isnt normal!

3. dilbaggins thread starter macrumors member

I dl'd coconutBattery and my stats show that the battery has 100% capacity thought

4. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

5. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Don't worry, you're not having any issues with your battery. Most of my Apple notebooks have always shown the battery to be 99% charged. It's in fact 100%.

6. sab150 macrumors regular

mine is showing full charge capacity 5177mah on a 3day old macbook pro 13"

that cant be normal.. can other macbook pro owners state there full capacity charge figures and age of there laptop?

-many thanks

7. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

My 13" MBP which I received on June 25th. Full charge capacity shows 5493. You may need to properly calibrate your battery.

8. sab150 macrumors regular

hi i have, as soon as i ggot it!

i am still in my 2weeks return period.. so i may exchange it.. but would prefer them to replace the battery! is this likely as its def not normal!

9. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

It fluctuates...

10. pknoot macrumors newbie

pknoot

There's no need to panic and rush into returning the MBP. In particular a new MBP may arrive with wildly varying states of battery charge, depending on storage time, temperature, etc.

The best thing to do is to "calibrate" or cycle the battery 2-3 times using the proper technique. It should be fine after that.

The proper technique is to use the MBP without the charger attached until the battery is completely dead. Leave the MBP turned off for at least 6 hours (overnight is better) without charging. Connect the charger and allow the battery to recharge without opening or using the MBP until the light is green. Repeat the process at least twice.

11. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Do you have a source for this?

Apple's recommendation is here

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

12. pknoot macrumors newbie

pknoot

Unless I missed something, Apple's recommendation is essentially the same. I got my info from a Genius.

13. pmcb macrumors member

mine would get stuck at 98% or 99% sometimes if i unplugged it for a few minutes then charged it again. just run it down to around 70% or so and let it charge back up and it should go back to 100%. worked for me, hope it helps.

14. aristobrat macrumors G4

Geniuses will throw in their own personal recommendations from time-to-time, so what they say isn't necessary 100% to Apple's specs.

The only thing I saw in yours that I've never seen before is the "not opening the notebook until the battery is 100% recharged" part.

15. Dan73 macrumors 6502a