Just bought a 13" rMBP. What do video editors think?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Chrsanthny5, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Chrsanthny5 macrumors regular

Hello everyone
    I just bought a 13 inch retina -> 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 2.8 i7

I haven't gotten a new MBP in 4 years, so I'm expecting a huge increase. I don't know how I managed to make it through with that computer as I do a lot of video editing (mainly FCP 7), and that thing only had like 3GB RAM.

I wanted to know if there were any video editors here that could speak on behalf of the overall performance of the machine while editing, mainly in FCPX and Premiere Pro.
    I know the 15" has the 4 cores, but is the gap that large? I'm wondering if I should've just gotten the base 15" over the topped off 13" :confused: I'm sure I'll be happy either way but I'd like some input.

Thanks

2. Evan_11 macrumors regular

Personally unless you have it hooked up to an external display I find 13" a tad small for video editing. FCP X however is better suited for smaller displays than any of the previous versions of Final Cut so you should be fine. If it were me I would have probably gone the refurbished route and picked up a 15" model. That's what I just did but instead picked up a Apple Certified 15" cMBP from Microcenter for $1400. I think the retina models are still a year or two off from being a mature product.

3. Windows&Apple macrumors regular

I agree, except for the mature product thing. I think the rMBP is good and for sure will get better, both spec wise and price wise in the future. But when comparing similarly speced machines (MSI GS70 and the Razer Blade Pro), the rMBP is a decent price. Also, the rMBP 15 is better for commuting. The cMBP is powerful and I love the fact you can change out parts, but it was a heavy beast.

4. Chrsanthny5 thread starter macrumors regular

Hi Evan

I've acclimated to FCPX on a 13" screen just fine on my previous MBP.

My work isn't "professional"; this is for college student film projects, so I don't have the whole 3 external monitors, multiple RAID arrays thing going. I'm going to be editing 1080pHD and the sporadic 2k here and there. I see what you're saying, but is this an "I would have done..." situation, or is this a "go out and return this now, and get the 15!" ?
    I'm looking at Geekbench marks and the 15" is rarely getting under 10k, while the 13" is lingering around 7, 8k at the high end. Granted as I said, any upgrade will be really big for me at this point, but I'm wondering how fluid this computer will be editing ProRes/occasional RAW video.

5. Chrsanthny5 thread starter macrumors regular