Just bought a 15"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by perfectshadows, Sep 29, 2010.

1. perfectshadows macrumors member

Hi all,

I have just bought, a 15" macbook pro:
    2.53ghz I5 Intel core processor,
    4gb 1066mhz ram
    500gb 7200rpm drive
    Hi Res- glossy screen
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M with 256 MB
    iWork preinstalled
    Apple Care Pack
    Apple remote costing me £2134

My question is have I done the right thing? I am leaving my Windows 7 based machine but my spec on it is higher.

HP ENVY 15
    Core i7 720 1.6ghz
    8gb 1333mhz ram
    320gb 7200rpm drive
    1gb Ati Radeon HD4830
    720p LED glossy screen

I guess I am just new to Mac i don't understand all the fundimentals of it yet.

cananyone shed some light my way?

best regards to all
    Total Noob Glen

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

How are we supposed to know? Were you having problems with your old machine? This is a fairly meaningless question anyways. If we said "you did the wrong thing!" what would you even do about it? My guess is nothing.

Bookmark Mroogle to search for answers to your questions before starting new threads. Odds are it's already been answered.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You've done the right thing.

Hopefully now you can rest your weary mind because random stranger on random internet has validated your purchase.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

If you go spec-wise, you have downgraded. I have done the same (coming from a Intel 1.4GHz 14" notebook with Windows 2000 to a G4 iBook with 1GHz and 12" display) but the new machine was faster in every way besides specs, as Mac OS X allowed me to work "faster" or more efficient and was less in my way. I even stopped touching my PC with 2GHz and 128MB GPU (which was a semi-professional GPU meant for CCC applications, not meant for games) and two 17" CRT monitors.

What I was going to say/write: Specs are not as important as many might make you think. Mac OS X is cleaner and less in the way than Windows, and you have to make up your mind if Mac OS X is good for you or if Windows is better suited for your way of thinking.

Also have a look at the following links to learn more about Mac OS X:

5. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

6. perfectshadows thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Miles for the mroogle link I didn't even know that existed, but will use in future.

If I had done the wrong thing I'd send it back I get 14 days for a full refund, I wouldn't just keep a product I was unhappy, if it was so pointless to you why reply at all? I think you have some personal anger issue with the world maybe you should seek help?....

Thank you everyone else for you recommendations, I know OSX is far far better than a windows based system I was just unsure of what I was losing compaired to what i was gaining. I guess i have no use of such a high spec PC, I bought it to game on but I never game anymore when I do i use the PS3.

It has short comings too like burning your leg off as it gets so hot its untouchable its a well known problem the battery lasts 45minutes at best if you add the extended battery its 3hrs but it then weighs so much its hardly 'mobile'.

All I do now a days is use excel, internet, itunes, sync my, photo's make mini moves, burn the odd disk.

I do nothing special anymore but I just want something that works like my iPhone simple and direct.

Glen

7. Turian.Spectre macrumors regular

Turian.Spectre

over time as you get used to it, you will realize its much better than windows, and you will never want to go back to it again.

8. Namji macrumors 6502a

Namji

I've had my macbook pro 15" now for 2 months and for some reasons I only use the macbook for my itunes and little bit of browsing the internet here and there.. but other than that I keep going back to using my sony 17" laptop for everything else from e-mails, downloading music, movies, playing PC games etc. I keep thinking to myself, why I even bought the macbook pro.

Could someone tell me what advantages there for having a macbook?
    :confused:

9. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

Uh yeah... though it is obviously subjective, like asking why a Ford is better than a Chevy...

1) No viruses/spyware (or at least not rampant)
    2) Fewer system freezes (I didn't say application, btw)
    3) Snazzy fit and finish
    4) Media-rich features built in (iLife)
    5) Smoothness of OS X (though Win 7 is nice)
    6) Ability to still run Windows if you need to (not want to; if you want to run Windows, buy a PC)

Of course, there are advantages to buying a PC, too:

1) Price
    2) Choices galore
    3) Windows 7 is quite nice
    4) Compatibility with almost everything/everyone
    5) Windows 7's snazzy taskbar with Aero Peek, Snap, etc.
    6) Not having to run two OS's to do everything you want (I love my Mac, but I HAVE TO HAVE Windows to run some apps, mostly games)

So to each his/her own. I choose Mac. :D

10. Namji macrumors 6502a

Namji

All of those you mention as you say are subjective and you are right.

I'm still trying to figure out what I can do better or just do on a Macbook that I could not do on my Sony Vaio and why I keep using my sony over the macbook on daily basis.

Is there some special reasons why people buy a macbook besides for appearance, build quality, no viruses? PC's can perform just as good if not better than mac's.

11. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

If you prefer the PC, it may be time for you and your Mac to part ways.

Do you use the iLife software? (iMovie, iDVD, Garageband, iPhoto, etc.) That's Mac-only, though you can get close PC equivalents. How about the size, weight, and fit/finish? Sony's are usually pretty nice, so this may not be a big deal to you. I like having one computer that does EVERYTHING and does it well. That's why I own a 15" MBP i7.

EDIT: Ahh, just saw your addition. Really, then, in your case it comes down to preference.

12. tjb1 macrumors 68000

2 words... Battery Life

13. Hastings101 macrumors 68020

Hastings101

Your previous computer was much better, and your purchase was sort of a waste. But on the positive side - you get to use OS X now, which is kind of sort of slightly better than Windows 7:D

And as long as you're happy with it that's all that matters. If you're not, you should just sell it or return it if you still can.

14. Namji macrumors 6502a

Namji

I've researched and found that the battery life was one of the advantages of a macbook but its hardly a breaking point in deciding between a pc and a macbook.. infact other things I've read that are better on a macbook over pc are LED back lighting on keyboards, magnetic power cord latch, and bunch of other non relative features. IMO macbooks are just different than PC some features are good or better and some aren't.

15. Namji macrumors 6502a

Namji

I use iphoto which is pretty neat, but have not explored other applications fully to understand what they do... surely the higher price on the macbook isn't just for these apps?? :)

16. tjb1 macrumors 68000

I had a 10.6" hp netbook with the 6cell or whatever extended battery and my 15" i7 gets more battery life than that netbook.

17. ninjaslim macrumors member

As far as the CPU is concerned, you've definitely upgraded. Apart from the i5 being a dual-core and the i7 720QM being a quad-core, the standard clock speed of the i7 is far too low for it to be faster than the i5 in most tasks. I went from an i7 720QM to a Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz in my MacBook Pro 13", and the latter is faster in every way. I think you've made the right choice.

18. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

if you dont like it after like few weeks just exchange it to apple for diff model.