Just bought a 1TB external drive...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nateo200, Jun 20, 2011.

1. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Just bought a 1TB external drive! I came down to 0 Kilobytes available last night so today I bought a western digital elements SE external for $90.99 at target. I just partitioned 350GB for Time Machine and the other 650GB is for Media and such. The 350GB Time machine portion isn't going to effect the other half right? I just want to make sure it doesn't like format all my media once I drop it all on the 650GB half...thanks in advance.

2. Mrguidogenio macrumors regular

Mrguidogenio

Correct. Each partition shouldn't affect the other one.

3. sunnyj macrumors 6502

where is the source material located that your copying to TM? i hope its not on the same drive because if you have a failure your SOL.

4. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

no it won't affect it. Not the smartest to have your backup drive be the same as your media drive IMO.

Get a dedicated media drive, and a dedicated backup drive. The last thing you want is to lose your backup data because your drive poops out on you since you're using it all the time to access your media files.

I'm not saying you WILL have problems, but I prefer my backups to be on their own drive that sit and don't get moved. They are just there for the backup, I'll use other externals for my media or what have you.

5. nateo200 thread starter macrumors 68030

nateo200

Yeah I realize that but honestly its not really of concern. I didn't even think of Time Machine until it asked me when I was plugging the drive in so I figured what the hell and partitioned it.

6. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

well sorry to say, but i guess *SOME* people gotta learn the hard way. When your drive fails and you lose everything you're going to understand why people backup their drives, then backup the backup, and then make another copy to store off location. I'm not saying you need to do all of that, but hard drives fail, it's a fact of life. When yours goes, you're going to be sorry you didn't use time machine, especially considering how easy it is.

-edit sorry i meant SOME people, not dumb people... i wasn't calling you dumb lol (even though it is dumb not to backup your stuff). :D

7. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

I don't have opposition, I was under the impression you don't back up at all since you said the only reason you did it was because the computer asked you to.

SSD's and expensive hard drives aren't failproof either though.

If you can back up everything you care about to dropbox, good for you, most people need more space than that. Do what you want, I'm just telling you, time machine is so easy you literally plug a drive in and click one button...

8. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

I feel like you got ripped of on the price a little...

I bought a 2TB WD Elements drive for $75 after Thanksgiving (normally $150), but I wouldn't spend more than $75 on a 1TB now, unless it has more connectivity than just USB 2.0.

9. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

no it doesn't have extra connectivity, it's the SE edition of the drive you have. It's meant to be portable where yours is meant to stay at home on a desk. Yours needs an AC adapter to get power, the SE gets power from the USB cable.

It goes for about $84 online, so he didn't really get ripped off.

10. nateo200 thread starter macrumors 68030

nateo200

I did use time machine what did you think I used?....and nothing is fail proof I'm just saying I don't exactly have government 007 James bond ub3r important stuff on my computer so I'm not going to by a drive to back up my drive to back of my drive to back up my drive when I have adequate redundancy set up.

11. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

Ah, didn't realize that the SE meant it was a portable drive. My mistake, that is not a bad deal then!

12. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

I guess you missed the part where I said you probably don't need to do all of that.

I assumed this is your first time using time machine since you said the only reason you set it up is because the mac asked you to when you plugged in the drive.

I already said, if that fits your needs, that's fine, I was just under the impression you didn't back up at all. Since you do, that's fine. You asked for opinions on using the same drive for time machine and media, I gave you MY opinion that it's not a good idea. If you want to do it, do it, I don't really care.

Anyways, it seems you don't really have important data that you care about anyways, so i'm glad this works for you! Not everyone needs the same backup solutions, so if you are fine with this one, who cares what others think :D