Just bought a 1TB SSD: Questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by darksilentsiren, Oct 11, 2017.

1. darksilentsiren macrumors member

darksilentsiren

I heard its agronomic if your HDD is 1tb, its better sense to get a 1tb SSD so I did just that today. not sure if it is worth the money so i am here to ask cos if it's not worth that big buck I'll exchange it for a smaller SSD 256 perhaps? But someone tell me in the simplest term about SSD. So i ran the disk speed from the APP STORE. here is a picture. Someone tell me why it reads 200 and 286...whereas i've seen other peoples macbook pro run up to 500s'Here's more specs about my laptop. So someone please understand that i know not a lot about SSD..I know and heard that 2009 macbook pro can only go up to 8GB memory but I kinda wanna try to do 16GB? is it safe or do'able? Let me know in all my questions lol.

Attached Files:

2. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 68000

New_Mac_Smell

Not sure what crops have to do with HDD's?

Get whatever size SSD you need, a larger SSD is faster but not significantly enough to warrant the cost if you're only using 100GB of it.

It reads at 200/286 as that's what it's capable of, I believe you have a SATA2 interface on that machine, so the speed is consistent. If you had a newer MBP then you'd probably get faster speeds.

Older Core 2 Duo Mac, most likely can't upgrade past 8GB, here's a tech specs for you https://everymac.com/systems/apple/...o-2.8-aluminum-17-mid-2009-unibody-specs.html

3. darksilentsiren thread starter macrumors member

darksilentsiren

So when it reads that read/write is normal?
    Is there any way to clarify this?

I right-click my SSD disk and permission it both read/write. Idk if that'll help any. I reinstall the SSD and HDD by cmd-opt R and disk ult > erase and reinstalled el capitan. I watched a few videos where people clone it? would that made a difference or not really at all?

4. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

No it won't make any difference. Good news is when you get a newer machine with a faster SATA interface the SSD you have will run faster, until then don't waste any time trying anything else it <can't> run any faster, you 'll just turn something off/on you shouldn't and maybe break something (like your ability to write to the drive).

5. darksilentsiren thread starter macrumors member

darksilentsiren

So i should exchange it for a 250GB for 99$ instead of spending 300+ for something that isn't gonna make a diff lol
    --- Post Merged, Oct 11, 2017 ---
    Question about HDD, what size HDD can this model take 2009 17" macbook pro. I was thinking of returning the SSD for a 250 SSD and then spend about 80$ on a 2TB HDD instead..