Just bought a 2.16GHz Macbook Pro...From an Apple Employee

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gazfocus, Feb 14, 2008.

1. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I just bought a 2.16GHz Macbook Pro from someone fairly local for £685 so going to collect it Friday evening.

Will I be able to upgrade the hard drive to 320GB? I am waiting for a new MBP but sooooo fed up of Windows, I'm going to be using this until the Penryn MBP's come out, then I may resell it or give it to my girlfriend (not decided yet).

Anyway, I've got the 320GB hard drive sitting next to me because I bought it to out in a new MBP when they come out, but would like to use it in this if possible.

Also, what sort of RAM will this take?

Thanks

2. MAW macrumors regular

RAM: DDR2 PC2-5300 667MHz

HDD: 320gig?? Cool. Who makes that? I thought 250 was the limit. Silly me.

3. dimonay macrumors member

Samsung and Western Digital make a 320GB.

500GB should be coming out next month :D.

4. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

It's made by Western Digital. OWC sell them...Just not sure if the 2.16GHz will take it because it's a previous generation

5. heatmiser macrumors 68020

The only limit the 2.16 has is a memory one: 3.3gb, though 4gb can be used for dual channel goodness.

6. MAW macrumors regular

Well, according to OWC, 250g is the limit with the last generation. I guess you could always try and cross your fingers:eek:

EDIT: I misread, sorry. your mbp will accept the 320gig, as previously mentioned by heatmiser:)

7. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Thanks. The crucial website said the max was 2GB so is that down to the 2.2GHz limit?

8. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Yeah, they're probably just going by Apple's official specs. Realistically, though, a core duo has a 2gb limit, a core 2 duo has a 3.3gb limit, and a santa rosa core 2 duo has an 8gb limit.

9. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Thanks, thats helpful :)
    Please accept my apologies...I clicked on the Core Duo model, not the Core2Duo. Just found the Core2Duo and it has a 3GB limit as you suggested.

10. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Ok... So I go to Manchester (UK) to collect my 2.16GHz MBP from the eBay Seller I bought it off, and the seller tells me he works for Apple (He showed me his ID card and was giving me some advice about my Apple TV not logging into my iTunes account).

Do you think he knows a new MBP is coming on Tuesday? Do you think that's why he sold his 2.16GHz?

I've bought this MBP as a stop gap until the new MBP comes so I'm still playing the waiting game :D

11. JCastro macrumors 6502a

I don't think anyone except for a hand full of people "know" when it is coming out. I seriously doubt it will come out ahead of an Apple event "scheduled" for the end of February. There is no confirmation on that either.

I don't think you did wrong in buying it and you shouldn't have a problem selling it later either.

12. Jim82 macrumors member

I have the same Black Macbook, the C2D 2.16, it can take the 4gigs but will only see 3.3. I currently only have 3 gigs in mine. If you have the money go for the 4 gigs of RAM, it won't hurt, it will be better for the dual channel matched. So a very very slight speed increase you'll see. I'll be buying another 2gig stick this week. I do also have the WD 320 hard drive in mine. The 160 that it came with is sitting in the external case the 320 came in. It fits perfect and the space is amazingly nice to have in a laptop.

13. Anderson3133 macrumors regular

I disagree with that, especially with the mac pro systems that happened this year. So it's not like it hasn't happened before.