just bought a 20" 2.4ghz iMac, 2 dead pixels

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by brianbkny, Jun 18, 2008.

1. brianbkny macrumors member

just opened it last night. should i try and exchange it for another one today?

2. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

A few things will really determine how helpful Apple will be to you. First, did you purchase at a retail location? If so, you will probably have better luck getting an exchange.

Typically, Apple's policy states you need to have a decent amount of pixels out in close proximity of each other to get a replacement or repair. One or two dead pixels is definitely not going to guarantee a replacement machine. However, if the pixels are near the center of the screen, you can plead your case by saying you use the computer for design and need a monitor with no obstructions. This has worked for me in the past (but that is what I use my computer for so I was not lying).

Basically, just take it back to the store if you can, be friendly and talk to a manager if you have to. I have found being extra friendly will get you a long way. Good luck!

3. brianbkny thread starter macrumors member

yup it was purchased at my local apple store. while boxing it up again, i noticed that there was some damage to the black part of the screen, so im definitely exchanging it.

im a designer also, so hopefully that will help my case.

4. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

If you have some physical blemishing as well then you should have no problems at all. Just point out that you are a designer, it has dead pixels and the case has some scuffing and you will be good to go. Best of luck with the next one :)

5. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

6. phalewhale macrumors 6502a

phalewhale

A quick tip...

I know the thread starter has said it's going back but I thought I would pass this little hint on anyway.

I thought my new iMac had dead/stuck pixels when I first booted. Well, they weren't. The guilty "pixel" was actually dust. To verify this, make a note of where the pixel is and turn off your screen. In light conditions, take a look at where the guilty pixel was located, and if you can see a speck of something between the glass panel and the screen, it is likely not a dead/stuck pixel.

Removal of the glass panel can be done quite easily and with a can of compressed air, the speck can be blown away.

I would challenge that almost every new iMac made suffers from this "problem". I've seen this on EVERY iMac I have looked at and that is quite a few! Even if you are lucky and there is no dust under the panel now, it is likely that some will eventually appear in the future since the panel is not sealed, rather it is held in place by magnets. Fortunately it can be cleaned with care, but you do run the risk of smashing the glass panel.

Just a point I thought was worth making...

7. brianbkny thread starter macrumors member

yup, got a new replacement.

walked in, told them what happened. the dude that helped me the previous day, came out with a brand new imac and the manager came and shook my hand and apologized.

no questions asked, it was easy and painless. best apple store ever (even called me to let me know that they had 16 gig iphones in stock a few months back on the day they came in and held it for me for 24 hours).