Just bought a 2010 15" MBP...What wrong with this screen?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Madlamz, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Madlamz macrumors newbie

Aug 30, 2010
    Ok so its a Hi-res Anti-glare screen... the bottom of the screen has about an inch thick line of yellowing on white backgrounds. On dark backgrounds it lightens it.

I bought this laptop on Ebay with the i7 2.66Ghz processor/8gb ram/500gb HDD @ 7200rpm for $1150. Its practically in mint condition aside from this issue with the screen. Im planning to keep it for a year or so and pick up the Haswell RMBP. Was this a good price for it or should i ask for a refund due to the screen? The screen doesn't bother me a huge deal but i am looking to resell it in the future and dont want to end up losing a bunch of money. Thank you.
  2. skitzogreg macrumors 6502

Oct 31, 2007
    That is a clear defect that should have been outlined in the auction description. Return that and get your money back.

If it has Applecare, get it repaired, but don't send it back.
  3. iLikeTurtles! macrumors 6502

Jun 22, 2012
    i believe its the heat from the macbook pro vents that screw up the LCD screen when closed?
  4. Madlamz thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 30, 2010
    In the description the seller said that it was in "excellent-mint condition"...when i messaged him asking for a refund due the defective screen he said "The apple led displays have historically been critisized for the yellow tint on extreme white pictures but never found this to be the case with this laptop in a year of ownership. There are no returns or refunds on this item."

I opened up a case, but will ebay be able to help me out even though he did state that he's not offering refunds?
  5. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

Apr 2, 2011
    New Jersey
    I sold a near mint MacBook pro on eBay also. If I was the seller I would have been up front about the screen seems like he is trying the no refund thing as a way to cover his ass but it won't work. If he didn't specify this issue in his description and made it sound like there was nothing wrong with it, he clearly was deceptive.

Just because this might be true that historically this model is susceptible to this issue that doesn't mean that every single MBP had it. To me he was clearly deceptive.
  6. TheRdungeon macrumors 6502

Jul 21, 2011
    Haven't heard of this before, I guess it sort of makes sense though, you got any more info on it? Run mine closed with a lot of heat sometimes
  7. shareef777 macrumors 68020

Jul 26, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    And historically they were considered defective, not 'excellent-mint'. Get your money back any way you can (if not buyer, then eBay, then credit/bank card).
  8. cherishzm macrumors regular

Mar 13, 2011
    Open a dispute/claim with PayPal, not eBay, as 'item not as described' issue and pursue returning it cause it's defective. Even if the seller does not want to refund it PayPal may decide he/she will have to take it back for a full refund.
  9. thekev macrumors 604

Aug 5, 2010

Used values always decline. Right now the new 13" macbook pro with integrated graphics outpaces that 15" in every possible way. The air may not outpace it. It's a bit slower and the gpu is clocked lower. You are making a big mistake in believing that you can flip things without a loss. If anything it would work best if you found a good deal on something like a 13" air where it's a very popular product yet some people can't afford the new one. Some people do get luckier than others. If it was me, I would've purchased a 2011 refurb for roughly the same price.

I forgot to write this, but that does look like a display issue. It's significant enough that it should have been mentioned. You should also ask questions in advance, but if I was listing something like a laptop, I would disclose all details. I'd probably even stress test it to prove that it's in good working order. The price is more than I would pay for that model regardless of condition (even if it was never used and in the original packaging, simply because it's at a point where I'm better off ordering a refurb unit), but you need to do your price research before ordering. If someone sells you one that is actually mint, placing a bid still means you agreed to that price whether it's above what it should take or not. That's the nature of an auction site.
  10. knoxville555 macrumors newbie

Jun 28, 2012
    just open a "item not as described case" 9 times out of 10 they rule in favor of the buyer. There is no such thing as no returns on ebay. As an ebay seller myself I know its not worth escalating cases to ebay because they almost always rule in favor of the buyer.

While the case is being reviewed the sellers money is frozen also. So threaten him with negative feedback and tell him to take the item back and refund you the shipping money also. You will win.
  11. iLikeTurtles! macrumors 6502

Jun 22, 2012
    if he posted the ad as "as is" you may be screwed
  12. Eallan macrumors 6502

Sep 12, 2007
    That's definitely not normal. I just sold my 2010 Hi-res AG after using it for 2 years. The display looked nothing like that.
  13. ddehr026 macrumors 6502

May 1, 2010
    I'd take it to an apple store first and see if there's anything they can do for you. Stranger things have happened that an on the spot replacement :)

I've had really good luck if you're just patient and respectful.