Just bought a 2011 MBP i7 2.0...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rwmorrisonjr, May 2, 2011.

1. rwmorrisonjr macrumors newbie

...and I want to make sure I've made the right decision before I open the box.
    I'm hung up on the differences in video cards between the two models, that's all!

Here's my usage:
    • MS Office
    • Internet
    • You Tube & light video
    • iTunes
    • Parallels/Fusion and Windows 7 32 bit
    • maybe Photoshop or CS5
    • External monitor.

Would the extra $300 be worth it for the 6750 card, or better spent on RAM and a faster HDD? Want to know before I open the box because I can't return it to the AAFES Exchange once its opened.

I know this has been discussed before, but I'm taking the full plunge into Mac and want to do it right! :D

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

If you're not gaming, spending the $300 on the graphics card would be a giant waste. Pop in 8GB and get a big 7200 RPM HDD, then buy something nice for the ladyfriend with the $100 left over (or for yourself if you don't have one) ;)

3. frankieboy macrumors regular

4. The-Pro macrumors 65816

OPEN THE BOX!!!!! you wouldnt benefit from the 6750! enjoy your machine, it is wonderful :)

5. rwmorrisonjr thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys, I'll crack the box today if I have time. I'm sure it'll perform better than my i7 XPS 15 which I bought in Feb, which has underwhelmed me so far.

6. opera57 macrumors 6502

Awesome! Yeah definitely not worth it for your uses, spend the extra on ram and a big hard drive and it will be perfect! [​IMG]

7. rwmorrisonjr thread starter macrumors newbie

Good call on both, that's the plan! As for lady friend (i.e. wife), she'll definitely get something good because of this! :p

8. ghostlyorb macrumors 6502a

ghostlyorb

My friend just got the one you have.. and loves it. a HUGE upgrade over the regular MB. I have the fully loaded 15"... 2.3 i7...8gb ram... 7200rpm... etc. It's amazing.. however, I rarely use it for gaming or anything. I'm sure the 2.0 will be perfect.. open the box. You'll find that youtube probably wouldn't be able to make it switch until you start doing 1080p probably. And you have a decent graphics card anyway. no worries.