Just bought a 24", question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by KnightWRX, Jan 28, 2009.

1. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

I just bought a 24" LED cinema display yesterday. It's perfect except for 1 dead green sub-pixel. Now this wouldn't be a problem if it were somewhere around the sides, on the edge, but it's right in the middle of the screen and since I spotted it, I can't stop starring at it.

I know apple has a policy that you need over 6-7 of these "anomalies" before they will allow a replacement, but should I try to get it replaced ? I don't want to lug the whole package back just to be turned back.

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

If it's bugging you, regardless of what anyone here says, you should try your luck yourself. You might get lucky.

3. rust.puppet macrumors regular

id take it back, you paid for quality, and to me dead pixels should be a hardware issue since its not just aesthetic, thats like saying screen flashing is just you being picky.

4. PDE macrumors 68020

I agree that you should try to get it replaced. This is a very expensive monitor and Apple should exchange it for you. Other manufacturers, such as Dell, have no dead pixel policies for their better monitors and I think it's time Apple does too, especially if they're going to continue to charge what they charge.

Good luck!

5. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

If you don't try you'll always regret not trying. So try!

AppleMatt

6. MooneyFlyer macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

I have 2 dead pixels that I've noticed since getting the display in December. One is lower left, .5 up, .25 in. The other is upper right at about 3"x3" in. Neither of them are in my view so they don't bug me that much but I was wondering the same thing.

Since your monitor is brand new, I would definitely consider bringing it back to see what you can get. You only get what you ask for.

7. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

It's my understanding that dead pixels will be dark. Since you've said it's green, I believe that you've got a "stuck" pixel. I've read some stories on how to "unstick" them, but I'm not sure of the details. You might want to do some searching for fixing stuck pixels (or just take it back).

8. KnightWRX thread starter macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

By green, I meant the green sub pixel is dead, not stuck. If I put a all red background, everything is fine, same for blue, but if I put a all green background, the pixel is black.

I'll go to the apple store tomorrow, since we're having bad weather today. I'll keep you guys posted on if they do exchange it.

9. KnightWRX thread starter macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Just came back from the Apple Store, they exchanged it after a bit of fuss. Second monitor they gave me had dust under the glass. Third one looks perfect for now, I tested them before leaving of course.

10. jargonblimp macrumors newbie

sketchy.

i was going to say that you can have the product replaced if it's within a certain number of days after purchase. but looks like you're pretty well set to go now.

11. brentsg macrumors 68030

Congrats! When you get a nice one it's beautiful.

12. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

You got lucky... my friend had the same problem last week he had 2 dead pixels and so he went to the apple store to return it, the manager was a real jerk and really stubborn. wouldn't allow a return at all and my friend was very nice and civil the whole time but explained to him that if he is going to pay $800+ for a monitor that he should get a perfect one. No dice the guy wouldnt budge so my friend returned it and on top of that the manager charged him the restocking fee even though my friend had bought it that very same day and had a legitimate reason for returning it. needless to say my friend was quite pissed off with the whole experience and the managers horrible attitude. He is pretty disgusted with Apple right now.

13. integrat.ethis macrumors regular

What's with all of these Apple Store managers having such horrible attitudes? The AppleCare people I've spoken to so far have been fantastic, but I've heard nothing but horror stories about the stores.

14. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

NIce job on getting a good one finally.

Apple QC sucks.

Anything with a screen from Apple is like a lottery...

That's horrible. He should call executive relations and make a big deal about this...a dead pixel is clearly defective. On such an expensive monitor these managers should NOT be on a power trip.

15. Antihero825 macrumors newbie

Dead Pixels

This just happened to me a couple of days ago. I bought a brand new Imac and noticed 5 days after the purchase 2 dead pixels. At first i thought it was dust, but to my disappointment I realized it was a couple of dead pixels. I returned it to my local apple store. The genius plugged it in, looked at it, and went in the back and brought a brand new Imac and handed it to me, and said she was sorry for the trouble. That was the easiest return I have ever made. My advice is to not settle because they will replace your Mac even if it has ONE dead pixel. Make sure it is within the 14 days though, and don't worry about the restocking fee because they will waive it. Essentially they are not really restocking it back in the store anyway, because they will probably send it back and have it repaired to be put online as a refurbished mac

16. zorahk macrumors 6502

I would call customer relations about that manager who would not accept the return

17. Goona macrumors 68020

Goona

Yes I'm sure we should internet forums to judge Apple's QC. :rolleyes:

18. KnightWRX thread starter macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

I see my thread got bumped. Well, just to update the status on my screen, finally the one they gave had another problem. The colors would go from warm to cold from one corner to the other (more yellowish white at the bottom right, more cold blue at the top left). I went in to get this one exchanged too, and the guy said this was normal... He did finally exchange it after a bit of negotiating.

They bring out another, which had about 4 specs of dust under the screen. Again he said this was normal and to be expected. I made a fuss, he went out and got another one after speaking with the manager but said it was the last one they'd give me, defects or no defects.

I told them at this point to just reimburse me and went and bought a cheap TN film screen. It looks like crap, colors are bad, backlight evenness is really off but it was 1/3 the price. I bought a set of 2.1 speakers to go with it and the sound is definitely better now than from the LED cinema display.

19. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

That sucks.. I was considering getting a 24" Cinema Display too.

Think I'll ask to try it out and check for dead pixels, dust etc before leaving the store when I do buy it!

20. rekhyt macrumors 65816

... How do you check if there is a dead pixel?

21. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/7669

Pixel Tester - it'll make the screen all white, all black, all red, all green and all yellow. Then look for any pixels that are either always black or not the correct colour.

22. KnightWRX thread starter macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

For my part I just put on a white background and check for anomalies (dead pixels will either be black or magenta/cyan/yellow), then put on a dark background and check for any stuck pixels (which will be red/green/blue).

23. jlpoore89 macrumors 6502

I am going to an Apple store this afternoon to buy the 24" LED display. I am 2 hours away from the store, but i have no problem driving to the store today as i have a very light schedule. I am a college student and we just started our spring quarter a week and a half ago so things are kinda slow. But it will be getting heavy here soon as school picks up.

Anyways on to my point. Would any of yall recommend opening the display in the store and checking it for any defects? I will not have time later to drive back to the store to exchange it.

24. zorahk macrumors 6502

Then ask them to open it in the store. The worst they can say is no but I doubt they would do that on an almost 1,000 dollar display.

25. rekhyt macrumors 65816

Thank you. :) Is there any way to remove/temporarily hide the Apple menu bar for this test?