Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hyperfast

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2007
iMac, 24-inch, Intel Core 2 Duo
NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT 256MB SDRAM
250GB Serial ATA Drive
2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
SuperDrive 8X (DVD+R DL/DVD-RW/CD-RW)

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
Congrats on your order! That's once nice machine. We got a couple of the current 17" 2.0Ghz models and I've been so impressed with them, the 24" with that screen and processor will be something else.

Fair enough if you couldn't wait for the new ones. Who knows how long you'd be waiting for!

pcorajr

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2007
Congrats, I am about to buy a 24" also soon. Please let us know how you like your Imac and post some reviews about it. Im going to be getting the exact same configuration you have mainly because im going to be doing a lot of photo editing and gaming. It seems like the nvidia 7600 is a great card that will run the games i play good.

BitterB

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2007
I just used this transfer method..

I just got my first mac too, almost identical set up to yours, just no 2.33 processor. I used this method with an ethernet cable connecting PC to iMac directly (no router in between), just yesterday, and it worked like a charm:

http://macs.about.com/cs/tipstutorials/a/xp_osx_sharing.htm?p=1

When I used the instructions above, I stopped after the "on Windows XP" section. Once you've done those 4 steps, you can just open up your Mac folders from there and transfer files from your XP folders to your Mac folder, just like you used to. Of course, you could continue on with the other instructions listed, but it's not really necessary unless you want to access your PC from the Mac instead of vice versa.

Good luck.

stockcerts

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
Pensacola, FL
I've been waiting for the new Imacs as I'm also transitioning from the PC world. I'm wondering if it's a mistake to wait. If I knew for sure that a new model was about a month away, it would be easier.

Most of my data files are on an external USB drive. I just backed up all my Itunes, so I'm hoping that will be an easy transfer. I also need to get a new Ipod as my Nano recently died on vacation. I hear their are some changes in store for Ipods as well. One of my co-workers bought an Iphone (I'm jealous) and he thinks the new Ipods will be closely modeled to the Iphone.

I have a trip planned with my daughter for the end of this month. When I get back in early August I'll decide if I can wait any longer for a new IMac. I love the look of the current model, and they seem to have abundent power. I'm going to go with the 20" model, as I'm also coming from a background of paying less than $600- for PC's for as far back as I can remember. For me a 20" Mac will be awesome, and I'm so excited about OSX and Leopard!

stockcerts

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
Pensacola, FL
Another thing. It seems like to really get the whole Mac experience it might be good to subscribe to .Mac. I understand it may be over-priced, but I'm considering doing it.

I just bought a new point and shoot digital camera (Canon SD850), and I'm looking forward to doing more digital editing and posting online. .Mac seems like a good way to go.

gambot

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2007
I did get a killer deal on a 3GB 24" 7600 Imac to day. First i did say i would wait. But my PC works soo bad, and i really need a new computer.

And either way, if a new imac comes this will still be a great computer (Shipping here in sweden is normally 9-15 days, so i guess even if a new imac comes i will have had my imac in a month or 2)

AlanTheBrit

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2007
Runcorn, Merseyside UK
"I've been waiting for the new Imacs as I'm also transitioning from the PC world. I'm wondering if it's a mistake to wait. If I knew for sure that a new model was about a month away, it would be easier. "

The new iMacs WILL be with us by the LATEST mid-August:

They will be: 1) Cheaper! 2) 2GBs RAM (with maximum 4GBs - up from max of 3GBs) 3) Core 2 Duo Santa Rosa 4) 1080 (HD-capable) iSight 5) iLife '07 6) Better video card 7) Sleeker design 8) 2.33 and 2.66GHz 9) Minimum of 320GB HD... And, maybe, a 26" (top of the range iMac) screen... And, maybe, a voucher for Leopard...

I've been waiting since April.

pinkie

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2007
Congrats! You're not the only one who couldn't wait for the upgrade - I just caved and bought a 24" iMac a few weeks ago. I got the same specs as you except for the processor, I went with the 2.16 instead. I got mine pretty quickly, after 4-5 days I think. This was with standard delivery, not the fast option. You'll totally love it, I know I love mine! I find it so much easier do do...well, everything. =) As for transferring files from a PC, I used my network, but an external hard drive is a good idea too.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
The new iMacs WILL be with us by the LATEST mid-August

lord, I hope so. But I'm not counting on anything at this point. In early spring people were saying "updates by june, for sure." The best part was the other people laughing at them for making such "bold" predictions. Turns out it was a little bolder than we thought... :rolleyes:

the point being that nobody heres knows anything. What we think of as a certainty could be anything but.

newportmac

macrumors member
May 23, 2007
Dude... Not to be rude or anything but why? Why would you go out and buy a $2,000 item knowing its going to be replaced with a new and improved model for the same or less money within 15 to 30 days.. It's not like you walked into a CompUSA and saw a red clearance sign on it saying "Clearance-25% off". You should see that sign.. but Apple knows they don't need to clearance them because they know they have cool aid drinkers like you who will buy right up until the night before the new release.... Impulsivness can be treated.. stupidity can't.

pcorajr

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2007
Impulsivness can be treated.. stupidity can't.

I guess you are out of luck then. People are not going to stop living because Apple is supposed to release a new model.

It's not stupidity, it's called I need a computer right now and I have the money. How hard is that to comprehend? I'm about to do the same as the OP. I need a new computer because my current PC already crashed on me once, and I can't afford waiting around for apple to release the next iMac.

All we have is rumors about this new iMac. We do not have a date in hand on when they are going to release it. So please next time do not allow Impulsiveness make you sound like an Idiot. :confused:

Private Sector

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2007
if the new imac is released within 2 weeks of the purchase of an older one, apple will trade it out for you, waiving the restocking fee. i got a c2d for my cd that way.

stockcerts

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
Pensacola, FL
I am going to wait, but buying one now isn't necessarily being impulsive. Try not to be so judgemental as what's right for you isn't right for everyone.

AlanTheBrit

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2007
Runcorn, Merseyside UK
I guess you are out of luck then. People are not going to stop living because Apple is supposed to release a new model.:

"the point being that nobody heres knows anything. What we think of as a certainty could be anything but."

Note: this (Sept '06- July '07) is the longest time ever between iMac upgrades!

Better to borrow (a friend's/relative's second Mac - and many do have a second, generally older - Mac) or hire a Mac for the 4 weeks or so till the stunning new iMacs arrive!
Only in extremis consider buying a "living fossil" :) iMac!
Impatience is the mother of regret!

I've tracked iMac prices since late '03 (though only in March/April '07 motivated to buy (I have other Macs): Consider these facts:

November '03: (dome flat screen) iMac 20" 1.25GHz G4; 256MB RAM; 80GB HD; No Airport/Bluetooth or iSight! = $2199.
August '04: iMac 20" 1.8GHz G5; 256MB RAM; 160GB HD; Slot SD = $1899.
May '05: iMac 20" 2GHz G5; 512MB RAM; 250GB HD; SD = $1799.
October '05: iMac 20" 2.1GHz G5; 512MB RAM; 250GB HD; SD; iSight = $1699
January '06: iMac 20" 2GHz Intel Core Duo; 512MB RAM; 250GB; Dual SD; iSight; Bluetooth = $1699.
September '06: iMac 20" 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; 1GB RAM; 250GB HD;
Dual SD; iSight; Bluetooth = $1499.

Note: the $200 price drop in 9 months (Jan - September '06)
Note: the superior specification; also, students buy Macs before starting degree courses in September - Wait till mid-August! You'll not regret it.

Further evidence for imminent new models: a large UK vendor (Macwarehouse) has had no 20" or 24" iMacs in stock for 4 weeks...

mikerol

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2007
Florida
For what it's worth, the Apple guy at CompUSA today mentioned that two new iMac 20's came in the other day, but they came straight from Apple, not the regular warehouse. His speculation is that warehouses may be full of new ones and the last of the current version are shipping straight from Apple. He also mentioned that they may be pre-loaded with Leopard. But who the hell knows.

evs

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2007
For what it's worth, the Apple guy at CompUSA today mentioned that two new iMac 20's came in the other day, but they came straight from Apple, not the regular warehouse. His speculation is that warehouses may be full of new ones and the last of the current version are shipping straight from Apple. He also mentioned that they may be pre-loaded with Leopard. But who the hell knows.

i seriously doubt that there are macs sitting in warehouses with leopard on them. leopard isnt even finished yet - hence the october release date.

superlatic

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2007
Leeds, UK
know the feeling

just got out of a project meeting today and we have to produce a tech spec for the system we r building for 2 weeks time, then start building/programming.

Essentially, this gives me untill tues 24th july, if no new imacs by then im really gonna have to buy whether i like it or not, as i need a comp asap and thats as long as i can wait, but like many other on here, although the current imacs will easilly meet my needs, i cant bring myself to spend £1500 on a computer which is due to be replaced in a matter of weeks with a bigger and better model and on a computer with specs 9 months old, for that sort of money you expect the best or near as damn it.

darkanddivine

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2007
I know what you're saying superlatic. Then again when my company did the same, the same rumors of iMacs just around the corner were still abound. Theres no need to worry, just get the specs you need with the current system. It's not like they'll be rubbish as soon as the new iMacs are out. In fact I guess if you up the processor, video card and RAM, you'll not be far off a similar setup. Unless Apple have something extraordinary up their sleeve.:rolleyes:

AlanTheBrit

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2007
Runcorn, Merseyside UK
just got out of a project meeting today and we have to produce a tech spec for the system we r building for 2 weeks time, then start building/programming.

Essentially, this gives me untill tues 24th july, if no new imacs by then im really gonna have to buy whether i like it or not, as i need a comp asap and thats as long as i can wait, but like many other on here, although the current imacs will easilly meet my needs, i cant bring myself to spend £1500 on a computer which is due to be replaced in a matter of weeks with a bigger and better model and on a computer with specs 9 months old, for that sort of money you expect the best or near as damn it.

BORROW a Mac!! And, buy an (inexpensive) PocketDrive to backup its working system and contents onto - using "SuperDuper." When you've bought the latest iMac, and need to to return the borrowed Mac. Simply clone the PocketDrive clone to the iMac. This assumes Intel to Intel hardware. If Power PC to Intel scenario just clone the data to the iMac Intel.

Vidd

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2006
And either way, if a new imac comes this will still be a great computer

Exactly! Enjoy your purchase, both of you.
They're excellent machines and the display used for each of them is stunning.

Go download 1080p trailers. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.