Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Derwinator

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2008
It's awesome and everything that I've been looking for in terms of updates to the iPod Touch 5G:

- A6 Processor with 1 GB internal memory
- 8-megapixel iSight camera
- GPS capable
- Improved wireless capabilities

Yes, you guessed it - I bought an iPhone 5. Now before you say, "But the iPhone is a lot more expensive than the iPod Touch" I'll counter that I bought a used unit in like new condition for about $240. It's not under warranty but neither was my almost 2 year old iPod Touch 5G. I may or may not decide to activate it for service but regardless it won't be anymore expensive than paying for the cellphone and separate hotspot i've been carrying along with my iPod Touch.

So, for those still waiting for an updated iPod Touch, I wish you all the best with your wait but I am moving on.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
It's awesome and everything that I've been looking for in terms of updates to the iPod Touch 5G:

- GPS capable

Yes, you guessed it - I bought an iPhone 5. Now before you say, "But the iPhone is a lot more expensive than the iPod Touch" I'll counter that I bought a used unit in like new condition for about $240. It's not under warranty but neither was my almost 2 year old iPod Touch 5G. I may or may not decide to activate it for service but regardless it won't be anymore expensive than paying for the cellphone and separate hotspot i've been carrying along with my iPod Touch.

So, for those still waiting for an updated iPod Touch, I wish you all the best with your wait but I am moving on.

If Apple does come out with a new iPod touch this year which I am pretty sure they will, it will probably use the A7 not the A6. When the 5th Gen came out the A5 was only a year old. The A6 turn 2 in September, the A7 turns 1. If they put the A6 in the new touch it would be an idiotic move considering they only upgrade it every 2 years now.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
If Apple does come out with a new iPod touch this year which I am pretty sure they will, it will probably use the A7 not the A6. When the 5th Gen came out the A5 was only a year old. The A6 turn 2 in September, the A7 turns 1. If they put the A6 in the new touch it would be an idiotic move considering they only upgrade it every 2 years now.

I don't see why they can't just put in A8. Once the fab is already making the things most of the manufacturing costs are sunk and the per unit cost of additional units is very low.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
I don't see why they can't just put in A8. Once the fab is already making the things most of the manufacturing costs are sunk and the per unit cost of additional units is very low.

I agree, all devices they sell should use the current chip. I think the only reason the touch got the A5 was because they were still making the iPad 2 at the time along with the iPad mini which was released a month or two later.

Another reason I think it was done that way was so the iPhone had a but more of an edge, to sort of get away from that "iPhone without a phone" thing. Crippling the iPod touch was a bad idea. An even worse idea was the fact that when they announced it the tech was already 1 year old, and then they decided not to update it for 2 years.

Derwinator

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2008
I agree, all devices they sell should use the current chip. I think the only reason the touch got the A5 was because they were still making the iPad 2 at the time along with the iPad mini which was released a month or two later.

Another reason I think it was done that way was so the iPhone had a but more of an edge, to sort of get away from that "iPhone without a phone" thing. Crippling the iPod touch was a bad idea. An even worse idea was the fact that when they announced it the tech was already 1 year old, and then they decided not to update it for 2 years.

I couldn't agree more - I just got tired of the iPod touch always being way behind the curve on the enhancements. I have also found that there is far better selection of accessories for the iPhone vs the iPod Touch due to Apple's insistence on making it different.

----------

That's a pretty big "if" - I read the same rumor websites and have seen 1) no leaked photos, 2) no leaked specs 3) no leaked parts. Combined with the recent price updates suggests to me that the iPod isn't going to see upgrades anytime soon. But if they do history suggests it will still fall short of what you can get in an iPhone.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
I couldn't agree more - I just got tired of the iPod touch always being way behind the curve on the enhancements. I have also found that there is far better selection of accessories for the iPhone vs the iPod Touch due to Apple's insistence on making it different.

----------

That's a pretty big "if" - I read the same rumor websites and have seen 1) no leaked photos, 2) no leaked specs 3) no leaked parts. Combined with the recent price updates suggests to me that the iPod isn't going to see upgrades anytime soon. But if they do history suggests it will still fall short of what you can get in an iPhone.

Well I don't mind the difference when the major difference is mucho more sveltness.

Derwinator

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2008
Well I don't mind the difference when the major difference is mucho more sveltness.

If a thin lightweight device is more important to you than all of the other features the iPhone offers, then by all means enjoy what you have!

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
I doubt apple will put in A7, let alone A8.

The touch never skip a generation of chip set. U see Iphone 5c still use A6 and it pretty much can play all games. They should be more worry about the screen size because at 4 inch, my finger pretty much cover everything.

SHirsch999

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011

The same can, and will, be said for the A7 chips. More than likely it will still be used for a number of various devices. The 5G touch was a generation behind in the processor when it came out, and I'd be willing to take odds that any future iPod touches will also be 1 generation behind at introduction.

Derwinator

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2008
The same can, and will, be said for the A7 chips. More than likely it will still be used for a number of various devices. The 5G touch was a generation behind in the processor when it came out, and I'd be willing to take odds that any future iPod touches will also be 1 generation behind at introduction.

Agree completely and this is a driving reason for my move to the iPhone. Apple has made it clear that the iPod Touch will always have older components that leave you wishing you had the iPhone instead. My past objection to the iPhone was the high cost of ownership: it costs a lot to buy one and if you get a discounted one you're on the hook for 2 years of expensive service. Now you can find a plentiful market of barely used off contract iPhones at decent prices. Even without activating it for service you still have a kick-ass iPod Touch.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
No point in posting about the IpT6 since as of this post, it's already been announced and available. However, this thread certainly has further gotten me considering getting a used Iph6/+ to use as an IpT, as I wanted to have the larger, 4.7"+ screen but the IpT6 failed to deliver on that. It would've been a insta-buy for me (like when I upgraded to the IpT4 and IpT5), but now, I'm just going to let my IpT5 battery die, THEN decide where to go from there.

Agree completely and this is a driving reason for my move to the iPhone. Apple has made it clear that the iPod Touch will always have older components that leave you wishing you had the iPhone instead. My past objection to the iPhone was the high cost of ownership: it costs a lot to buy one and if you get a discounted one you're on the hook for 2 years of expensive service. Now you can find a plentiful market of barely used off contract iPhones at decent prices. Even without activating it for service you still have a kick-ass iPod Touch.
How cheap have you gotten these used Iphones off contract? Also, where do you go for these?

Have the conditions been as advertised? It'd be bad to think you're getting a near fresh battery, only to find out it's actually been heavily used.

ipos

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2011

- GPS capable

what does gps capable means?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.