Just bought a ati radeon 6970

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by solar290, May 11, 2011.

1. solar290, May 11, 2011
    Last edited: May 11, 2011

solar290 macrumors newbie

Well had the 6970 for about a week now and have got nowhere with it so my question is ,

i want to plug this into my mac pro 3,1 2008 and use it in bootcamp only i know it wont work in mac os which is fine.

So could i just plug it into a pci-express slot 16 bit of course and run 2 6pin to 6pin cables from the logic board to the card would that give it enough power.

While i use this card i will have no other card plugged into a pci express slot.

thanks in advance

2. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

3. solar290 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you kind sir . Have a good day

4. solar290 thread starter macrumors newbie

Cant see a screen when i turn it on

So installed drivers for 6970 in win 7 restarted computer powered it off.

took out my smaller mac pro ati card and put in the 6970 into the pci e slot
    then plugged both the 6 pin power cables and plugged in my hdmi adapter on the back to my monitor now when i power it on the screen just stays black and nothing. damn this card is loud on startup cant hear my self think. help please?

5. gullySn0wCat macrumors 6502

A) You should install your drivers AFTER you install the card. You will also need to uninstall other ATI drivers first

B) Try a different monitor (different port even)

Hope this helps

6. interslicer macrumors member

my guess is that you're not seeing the start up screen, but it should still be working. if the computer is starting up into windows it should eventually show up, but if you're booting into mac it wont show anything.

7. gullySn0wCat macrumors 6502

If you think it's booting into Mac OSX try changing your volume using the keyboard. Winning!

8. solar290 thread starter macrumors newbie

it boots into mac os first but i tried to hold down the option key so i could choose windows volume .

9. solar290 thread starter macrumors newbie

everything starts but the screen just stays black and i tried all the video hdni connections

10. interslicer macrumors member

aha!

the typical grey mac starting screens including the screen where you choose what boot volume will not show up, but they WILL work

try holding down option for a resonable amount of time and then select the windows volume with the arrow keys (just hit over once) and then hit enter

give it a few minutes and see if it boots into windows

11. solar290 thread starter macrumors newbie

i think the best thing for me is to re do my bootcamp install as i never installed the drivers before thats why it would not let me pick a volume that i want it to start in it would make me hold down the option key and then pick windows if not then it would boot to mac by default

12. interslicer macrumors member

dont do this. everything is working fine.. the windows drivers dont kick in until you start windows, but all that stops is the display getting signal. the computer is still working. do what i said in my last post

13. solar290 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks man but forgot to mention thet i did that already i even timed how long it would boot , so tried that and 5 minutes later still nothing , even put windows to sleep with my other card then quickly inserted and connected the 6970 and awoke it from sleep and still black screen

14. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

You have to understand:

[​IMG]

This is Mac stuff.

You are running a PC card.

This screen will only be black.

To boot Windows:

Insert Apple card
    Boot OSX
    Go to System Preferences
    Go to Startup Disk