Just bought a baseline mac... should I have gotten a little more or less?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by OldSocls, Jun 7, 2011.

1. OldSocls, Jun 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2011

OldSocls macrumors newbie

With student discount and everything, total came out to be $1.9k with the printer, which I should be getting $100 back, so 1.8k.
    However I've been thinking if I would have been better off with the top line 13 inch (I've already had the baseline 13 inch from mid 2010) or if I should have paid a little more and got the top of the line 15 inch.
    I've read the graphics card in this baseline 15 is really bad, worse than the one they replaced last generation, however the processor is a lot better. I don't play much games besides Starcraft II, Portal 2, CSS, TF2, and some other games that'll run on OS X.
    I don't do much graphic design or audio stuff either, but I'm not sure how "up to date" Macbook will be.
    What do you guys think?

I know the processor is fine, but I'm not too sure about graphics. The baseline 15inch graphics compared to the top line is like night and day. 256mb to 1gb of memory. And seeing the benchmarks, the current 256mb used in the baseline preforms lower than the ones it replaced.
    The only thing better about this is the processor for sure, and the thunderbolt ports (which I wish it was usb 3.0 instead)
    I know technology is the fastest to get upgraded and phase out, but I don't want to be left with a machine that won't even be able to run games coming out soon like Diablo III, so I was wondering if it would be worth the extra $300 to upgrade to the top line 15.

Oops, I wasn't clear, but I own the baseline 15 inch.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If you are looking for better gaming performance, then the 15" is the way to go. The new 13" is about as fast as the old 13" in gaming. If you have the money for the high-end 15", then I would go for it if gaming is important for you.

3. JR1993 macrumors regular

Hi, I plan to get the same system as you. The only game I play is CSS, which I see you do. Does it run well on that system?

4. OldSocls thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, it runs perfectly on max resolution (I think 1440x900), but if you pay $300 you get a much better graphics card, but now I think about it, and from what people are saying, it shouldn't be a problem.

I don't plan on playing Crysis 2 or anything, so I am content with this purchase.