Just bought a dual 2.3GHz G5 with a Cinema Display for $65

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by WalnutSpice, Dec 8, 2015.

1. WalnutSpice Suspended

WalnutSpice

I've been looking at Craigslist for the past few weeks waiting on a nice deal and I really think I lucked out here. I found a listing for a Dual 2.3GHz PowerMac G5 (late 2005) with 6GB RAM. It only has a 6600 video card, but it's better than my current G5. What really tops this, for me, though is that it comes with a nice Cinema display as well. It isn't perfect though, it has a line of dead pixels but it works.

Heres the listing if you're interesting. I'll post photos of it running when it's in my possession. This will be used for video editing (720 / 480) and photo editing (mostly converting 35mm negatives to digital images).

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/sys/5349744177.html

2. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

I love my Dual 2.3GHz. I have a 9600 in mine and it works amazing. Anything I toss at it works great! Best of luck to you with it.

3. WalnutSpice thread starter Suspended

WalnutSpice

Thanks, I'll be picking it up Saturday. Can't wait for it

4. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Nice find, mine is only a dual 2 GHz. Too bad the Cinema display has issues, but $65 is worth the G5 alone.

5. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Nice specs on the G5. Too bad the display is really messed up. Maybe you can find a panel online and swap it out. Another video card to look at would be the Radeon X1900. Dropped one in my G5 about 5 years ago, and its been doing great.

6. Ih8reno macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

They're awesome machines. Mine is essentially the same config but i have 5.5GB of ram and I'm running it off 2 20" cinema displays.

7. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I think you did well. The dual 2.3 is the best of the air cooled G5s and the late '05s have a lot of the same "goodies" as the Quad.

Pick up a 7800GT if you can-these are fairly inexpensive now and are a big upgrade from the 6600.

You're ahead of the game on the Cinema since it(presumably) comes with a working power brick. Displays without the brick are cheap on Ebay-I'd be inclined to buy one of those rather than doing a panel swap on the current display.

8. WalnutSpice thread starter Suspended

WalnutSpice

**Update**
    So we had a deal lined up for Saturday or Sunday at noon. We've been emailing all week and the time finally comes to get the G5 and the bitch goes "Yeah, I sold it on Thursday, whoops". So if you live in Ohio, Don't go to Laura Web Photo in Cleveland.

9. Ih8reno macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

10. PapaGino macrumors member

PapaGino

Awe that sucks he sold it but what was the specs of your current G5?

11. WalnutSpice thread starter Suspended

WalnutSpice

Dual 1.8GHz / 3GB RAM / 320 WD Blue / GeForce FX5200 64MB (plan on upgrading soon)

12. PapaGino macrumors member

PapaGino

I do have extra G5 Quads laying around that arn't being used, there currently at my borther's house I could always see if he's willing to let one go. Idk how much it would be to ship out to OH or how much he'll sell them for.

13. WalnutSpice thread starter Suspended

WalnutSpice

Thanks, but shipping to here with a G5 + it being a quad is just way out of my price range.

14. PapaGino macrumors member

PapaGino

Yeah, true shipping will be insane since its huge and around 54lbs.