Just bought a EEE PC to pass the time while i wait for my MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dsr1205, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Dsr1205 macrumors 6502

I bought a eee pc and windows for it. I really want something to surf the web and do some word processing on. It will distract me hopefully, until the new MBP. Ill feel baller carrying this around thou.

2. typerlover macrumors regular

Congrats. Thats a sweet looking machine, and for that price it can't be beat. Post up some pics once you get it.

3. Dsr1205 thread starter macrumors 6502

I will. I also purchased a 16gb SD card for additional storage, and a external cd drive enclosure to used for the install, just borrow a cd drive from my main PC. And ill be upgrading the memory to boot. I kinda wish i could run Leopard on it but i don't think it supports it sadly.

4. typerlover macrumors regular

Yeah with that size card and some extra memory, the only real weakness I see on it is resolution. I wish I had the chance to play with one up close before buying one.

5. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Why not just install Linux? If it's for web surfing and word processing, I don't see the incentive to use Virusdows...

6. pr5owner macrumors 65816

why would you install linux when it comes with linux preinstalled and fully configured?

windows isnt needed unless you have windows only apps.

also check out the bluetooth hack that tnkgrl orwhatever her name is did, you can add any bluetooth adapter you like to the eee without sacrificing ports, asus mentioned that even if you solder stuff direct to the board and you break it, they will still warranty the laptop (which i think is amazing since NO other company allows you to do that)

7. amrk47 macrumors regular

8. Dsr1205 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm installing windows becasue i like it more then linx and open office doesnt have spell check which is a problem for me.

9. zirkle2007 macrumors 6502

zirkle2007

And just because you don't like Windows, not Virusdows, doesn't mean anyone else can't use it. Grow up. I'm sick of all this crap. Its a stupid choice in operating systems, mainly to do with what your profession is.

10. heatmiser macrumors 68020

+1.

11. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Ah, I forgot it came with Linux which essentially was why I suggested trying it out if the OP hadn't.

Well there you go then. At least you tried it then. :)

Try not to interpret my mind too much because it is a difficult thing based on one simple sentence. Other than stating my opinion against security vulnerabilities in Windows, I didn't insinuate that no one else can, nor should use Windows because I don't like it.
    I was merely stating that the OP should try Linux out as it is able to do excactly the same things as he was going to use Windows for essentially (yes, you can even use a spellchecker with OpenOffice, it's called Aspell). The OP answered he already had tried it and didn't like it much and that was it.
    I fail to see why it's necessary to resort to throwing dirt because we hold different values. That's how wars get started and in some foreign countries, coitus.

"Its a stupid choice in operating systems, mainly to do with what your profession is."

You're now saying that Windows is a stupid choice in operating systems? That must have been a misprint or something?

Honestly, does it sound like using Windows is essential for the OP's profession, with all the web surfing and word processing he is doing while waiting for his MBP which, silly me I know, has Mac OS X on it and yes, some users buy macs just to install Windows on them, but let's not get into that right, since right now I am just assuming that most the mac user group actually buy the macs to use the good all around basic OS that comes preinstalled, thus being a good candidate to rule out the elsewhere used 'professional' argument?

Basically your post is somewhat unclear to me, with me being the not yet grown up gentleman, so if you would be so kind and care to elaborate it, then I might one day ascend to a higher level of 'not bashing an operating system I don't care for'?

This time I was thinking you could refrain from calling me immature?
    I don't really feel we are enough on the same maturity level to justify insults directed at me.

12. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Just curious can you install your bootup OS onto the SDHC card?