iPhone just bought a iphone 4 off craigslist that is semi tether.

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by mplayers2005, May 13, 2012.

1. mplayers2005 macrumors newbie

Just bought a semi tether iphone 4 running on ios 5.1. I just found out that the phone is a semi tethered jailbreak when i restarted the phone. The phone starts up fine and everything works other than cydia apps and safari.I just want the phone to start working again.

does anybody know what the easiest way to fix this problem i have ?

should i restore/ or upgrade to 5.1.1 from itunes or just re jailbreak.

2. noiceT macrumors 6502a

Open up redsnow and "just boot tethered". You should be good after that.

3. MastahRiz macrumors 6502

And do it again every time you do a reboot. That's how tethered jb's work.

4. musty345 macrumors regular

musty345

If you don't want the jailbreak, just turn the phone off, then hol the home button, and whilst you're holding connect it to your computer. Then just hit restore in iTunes

5. noiceT macrumors 6502a

Tethered = On reboot or the battery dies, the phone is useless, non-operable at all, until you load redsnow.

Semi Tethered = On reboot or the battery dies, the phone is semi useable, as in main functions can be used, making calls, texts, etc. Jailbreak and other functions are not useable, until you load redsnow to bring it back to 100% useability.

6. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

7. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

In the past, that would have been correct. It seems 5.1 allows the phone to boot, but JB apps, Cydia, Mail, & Safari don't work (just like the semi-tether, but without corona installed). To get these functions back, you have to "Just Boot Tethered" in ResSn0w.

8. mplayers2005 thread starter macrumors newbie

it is a semi jailbreak (5.1), the phone will boot up and make calls and I can text but jailbroken apps would not work nor the web browser.

So just to make sure, to restore back to the factory 5.1 I just have to Put it in DFU mode and restore in itunes?

9. newdeal macrumors 68020

You will need to restore to 5.1.1 but if you want it jilbroken anyway you may as well not do that and just hook it up to your computer and boot it with redsnow since that is what you would need to do anyway afterr you jailbreak it yourself