Just bought a Macbook! (4,1) - Upgrades?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Jethryn Freyman, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Hey guys. And girls.

I just bought myself a Macbook secondhand on ebay for $380, it's the 2.1GHz Macbook 4,1. Comes with an 80GB 5,400rpm hard disk and 2GB of memory. Should arrive early next week!

It's going to be a companion to my main desktop computer, which is an 8 year old Power Mac G5 - it's got a nice fast 1TB hard disk, of which I've used 750GB, so really a laptop can't be my main computer at the moment because they just can't store enough at the moment, especially if I wanted a 7,200rpm drive. :)(.)

My plan is to upgrade my little Macbook to 6GB of memory and to put in a 80-120GB SSD, then sit back, relax and enjoy. Probably going to install a fresh copy of Lion on it, switch on the full disk encryption, and hopefully be able to upgrade to Mountain Lion when it comes out (I know that it can't boot into 64 bit mode with a hack though, damn you Apple!) And also might upgrade from the combo drive to a Super Drive at some point, they aren't that expensive, and back in the day I did some tech work for an Apple retailer so I've replaced several dozen MB optical drives before :)

Anyway, any suggestions/advice?

I've also previously owned a Core i5 Macbook Pro, by the way, but it was stolen several years ago, hence me being on the old G5 (it's going to get an SSD for the boot drive at some point, too.)

:apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

2. Jethryn Freyman thread starter macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Question on the SSD for the Macbook: can I just use an Intel one I find in a normal PC shop?

3. Robert Davies macrumors 6502

Robert Davies

The MB 4,1 can already run a 64bit kernel, I've done it, it's just that there are no 64bit drivers for the x3100 graphic chipset, which means/meant that there is NO graphics acceleration running the 64bit kernel = not good at all.

Lion looks like the end of the road for us with MB 4,1s.

-Rob

4. Jethryn Freyman thread starter macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Thanks, that's what I've heard :(

Anyway, picked up a 120GB Corsair SSD and 6GB of memory today, so now all I have to do is wait for the Macbook to arrive :)

5. Robert Davies macrumors 6502

Robert Davies

Did I mention the 4,1 is my favourite *ever* laptop?

Mine's got 6gb RAM and a 100GB drive in it, it's tough and reliable and runs Lion beautifully.

The wifi reception is excellent too - no metal case to shield the signal :)

Enjoy your 4,1 MB - I certainly enjoy using mine :)

-Rob

ps I even swapped the Airport card for an Airdrop capable card.

6. saggel macrumors regular

how did you do that?

7. Robert Davies macrumors 6502

Robert Davies

8. saggel macrumors regular

Thanx Rob,
    How can I check if I already have the BCM94322MC without opening the laptop?
    I'll check for one if mine isn't compatible!

9. saggel macrumors regular

I'm asking, cause I can 'see' AirDrop on my macbook, and it says that other Macs can see my laptop, but I've never used it till now...
    so I don't know if that's enough!

10. Robert Davies macrumors 6502

Robert Davies

As far as I know, that's enough - it wasn't until I changed my Airport card that the Airdrop item showed in the sidebar.

-Rob

11. saggel macrumors regular

Great news then :) I don't know anyone with lion to test it, but I do see it on my MacBook :)

12. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Congrats on the purchase!

My Macbook 3,1 is still chugging along, after upgrading to an SSD and 4 gigs of RAM more than a year ago. I've no doubt that your computer will serve you well into the future!