Just bought a MacBook and feel the need for more. Can't decide

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cdogg, Jun 20, 2009.

1. cdogg macrumors newbie

I bought my MacBook (13", white) about 3 months ago and it set me back quite a bit. But i really wanted one. I've tried every piece of machinery and OS until then but had never owned a Mac and when my last notebook PC broke down (after 2 years running it), i decided it was about time i got me a Mac. Now i've been using it for months and it's great, except for when apps just shut down suddenly on occasion (don't know why they do and it gets a bit annoying, but it's not frequent and i've dealt with worse on Windows and Linux). The thing is, it was an early 2009 MacBook, the one with the 120 GB HDD and i'm really feeling the need for more. I also thought i could probably toss in an upgrade to 4GB RAM while upgrading the HDD to 320GB. My first thought was to call up the reseller i bought this MB from and get their quotation. It kinda threw me for a loop when their rep told me that an upgrade would run me the equivalent of US$172 for 4GB RAM and $135 for 320GB HDD.
    Now, i'd just got the computer and that cost about $1,083 (tax separate). I know i could usually just get the HDD and RAM at a combined cost of under 100 dollars.
    Aside from that, i guess i'm also feeling irked by the fact that a new, higher specced MacBook (though only slightly) was released just a month after i bought mine, and i have tended towards higher specs (within reason of course). So now i don't know whether i should sell the one i have, and get the newer one with a bigger HDD, or trade it in and pay the balance for the newer one, or stick with it and upgrade the RAM and HDD by the authorised reseller (which is pricey), or just get a compatible RAM and HDD and put it in myself. The only thing with the last option is that the peeps i bought the MacBook from told me that i'd void the warranty if i changed the parts myself :-S and here, it's really necessary to hold on to what warranty benefit you can get, when you can get it with any new purchase.
    I'm just looking for some advice, feedback, perspective, experiences to help me make up my mind about my next step. Any considerations would be welcome.
    Btw, i'm living in Pakistan so converting everything from rupees, and to put finances into perspective, the MacBook i bought cost about three months' salaries.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

So you're thinking of buying new white MacBook? The difference between your current and new white one is unnoticeable, you will gain nothing.

Changing HD and RAM doesn't void your warranty, so just do it.

3. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

What indications has the computer given you that you need more RAM?

4. cdogg thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, that's a bit of a relief and really helps a lot. Thanks. Are you sure about that though? I'd thought the same thing but the dude at the store seemed pretty sure when he said it would void the warranty. Does Apple have an official policy on this somewhere? If so, i could just print that out and show it to them and clarify the matter straight up. I know Apple's provided documentation on DIY upgrades.
    I'd really hate to give up the MB for another lousy PC. It just works so well with my iPhone :p among other benefits of course.

5. cdogg thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I mentioned the app crashes. I also have this Ira (my MacBook) dual booting to Windows XP. It's only a small portion of the hard drive but i have a game or two on it every now and then and i like to have the extra leeway especially when the GPU sucks up a 256MB chunk of system memory.
    Playing Mirror's Edge these days btw :D

6. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    On the inside of the Unibody MacBooks there is a sitcker with a diagram showing how to replace the RAM/hard drive. It will NOT voide the warranty. Dont worry about it, and just buy some cheap RAM from Newegg.

7. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

Firstly the prices they gave you for RAM and a new HD is too expensive. You can buy your own RAM and HD and install it yourself. You only need a few tools, like a Torx screwdriver, and another tool to pry the outside cases apart. There are websites with videos that will show you have to do both. Of course, if you do not think you can do this, then have the store do the installs.

You will void the warranty if you break something while upgrading, otherwise, your warranty will not be voided.

8. cdogg thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh and I also tend to have 10 or so windows/applications open at once and switch between them very often (some of which include Adobe CS apps, MS Office, iTunes and other iLife apps among others).

9. cdogg thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks jmann and DesignerOnMac, feeling more confident about the issue now. Looking forward to upgrades and getting my hardware fix :D

10. cancel macrumors newbie

cancel

i got the same model, and i wanna add more too. the thing is that my macbook's memory runs at 667 mhz and the new updated macbook white has memory at 800 mhz. i wonder if i can stuff 800 mhz in mine. does early 2009 macbook support memory at 800? i was looking over the internet and didn't find anything. does somebody know answer here?
    thanx in advance.