Just bought a MacBook Pro 17"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Stianu89, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Stianu89 macrumors member

Hey everbody!

This is my first post on this forum! And i want to say hi to everyone, and say that im really looking forward to be a part of this comunity!

I have been lurking around here for the last months trying to decide what macbook i was going to buy etc, And all the rumors about a HW upgrade.

And today i made a choice!

I just bougt a macbook pro 17", and im really looking forward to get it!

Specifications

* 2.6GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    * 4GB 667 DDR2 - 2x2GB SO-DIMMs
    * 200GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm
    * SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    * MacBook Pro 17-inch High-Resolution Widescreen Display
    * Backlit Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English

This is my first mac ever and i am really looking forward to switch from vista to leopard!

Any good advice you would give to a "first" time mac user?

Acessories etc?

Im going to use my mac for photoshop and final cut! As im a media student!

2. MarlboroLite macrumors 6502a

MarlboroLite

I also bought a new mac and made the big switch recently, the day after the Macworld keynote actually on the 16th after waiting for 3 months to see if what Jobs would introduce would suit me!

I went for a Blackbook and I have to say I don't regret my purchase, I only wish I had made it in November when the revised Macbooks came out if only to have had 3 months of this great machine that I didn't. I am absolutely in love with it and everything about it! It's gonna take a while to adjust but I'm getting there :D

I would recommend to install smc Fan Control to keep it cool, especially since the aluminum can get quite hot!

3. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

4. timtam macrumors member

5. Stianu89 thread starter macrumors member

I see you have almost the same machine! I wen with the non glossy screen! As there is to many windows in my appartment!

You have any positive and negatives?

6. timtam macrumors member

Its all down to personal reference, I compared both matte and glossy, the glossy screen seems more have that "pop-out" color.
    As reflection issue, I surprise the glossy screen serves me well.
    But if you have planning to use your lappie outside a lot or directly expose to the light, I reckon matte screen will suit you well.
    Since 17'' is "too big" for me to carry around, although I carry it outside sometimes, Glossy is not an issue for me.
    Color wise, each screen just have different feel, and again it all comes down to personal reference. :apple:

7. Stianu89 thread starter macrumors member

Had any heat problems, or noise? I had a acer that sounded like an airplane! :p

8. timtam macrumors member

It gets a bit warm for a while when you use it in your lap, but overheating is not an issue here unless if im open up so many application and stuff and doing my photo editing, then it will get much warmer in my lap.
    I had an acer once, i know what you talking about :D, under this MBP, mine is not making making that much noise, sometimes i worried :p.
    But seriously is a beast machine, you'll love it.

:apple:

9. capitanbuzo macrumors 65816

Congrats on the new machine. I went for pretty much the same thing minus the 17" screen. 17" is just too big for my tastes in a laptop.

10. Stianu89 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, i was thinking about that aswell, but the screen res made my choice, I wan to have a great res. so i can fit more into it! ;) As im a graphic designer and im starting to learn final cut, i want as much space as possible on my desktop.

Im so exited, cant wait!!

11. Stianu89 thread starter macrumors member

Aight :D Cuz everytime i turned on my other machine, everyone turned their heads!

Andwhen i power on my new mac, everyone will turn their heads, but thats not because of the noise! hehe

12. gelatin macrumors 6502

thats pretty much the one i wanna buy but i have a few questions

been thinking about getting a mac book pro since im leaving uni soon so wont be able to get the education discounts.

looking at all the options it will come to 2 and a half grand :undecide: not sure if thats really worth it.

2.6GHz or 2.4? not sure the .2 is worth an extra 160 quid

2 gig or 4 gig of RAM? not sure if i will need 4 gb but it would be nice to have it so i wouldnt need to upgrade in the future. 4 gb is £450 more than 2 gb tho :undecide:
    if i dont get the extra RAM i know i can buy it cheaper elsewhere but then i will have to buy 2x2gig RAMs cos the default ones are 2x1gig. wouldnt it be a waste if i bought 2x2giggers straight away, afterall i just paid for 2x1gig sticks that im not gonna use.

hard drive i want as large as possible at 250GB at 5400rpm but how much difference is it to the 200GB 7200rpm? which is £30 more?

display i want the 17inch widescreen hi res screen definitely

any point in getting applecare?

13. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

oh man... RAM is suuuuch an easy upgrade to do yourself. You can get 4 gigs of crucial for 120, more or less.... DO NOT I repeat, DOOOO NOOOOT buy apple RAM... waste o' money

14. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

besides. You can then turn around and sell the RAM sticks that come with it and make some of your money back for the upgrade

15. gelatin macrumors 6502

people will actually buy them? where can i sell?
    just checked price for 4gb of RAM on crucial on £65 :O they are charging £450 extra on apple site
    anyone know about hard drive speed and processor speed questions i asked?

16. timtam macrumors member

The short answer is not worth it, and why did I get one? Im not planning to keep this lappie forever until it dies on me, trying to reseller sometimes in the future, by having the 2.6MBP, most likely I will have a slight higher resell value than the 2.4 one and It will help me to buy the future :apple: machine.

Performance wise, you can judge it by yourself here :apple:

17. gelatin macrumors 6502

what would be "processor-intensive tasks"?
    i reckon 2.4 should be enough tho
    how much difference with the hard drive speeds? like in what situations would i notice it?

18. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

My first instinct is to say cancel the order and wait for the MBP's innards to better reflect the price.

My second is to say if not, then at least cancel the order and re-order once you've removed those 4GB RAM and 200MHz increase configs...

Great machine, but at a hefty cost with tech no longer indicative of the price... :(

19. Stianu89 thread starter macrumors member

Im bought it from USA ;) And i live in norway!

Saves me about 2000$ ;) It's expensive in norway! And cheap for me in the USA! ;)

20. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

Oh, go nuts then :D It's all about relativity

21. Stianu89 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, thats what i kinda did :p Since i saved so much money, why not go all out!

Now im just waiting... getting it in 1 1/2 day :p Just watching youtube videos of it etc :p

Cant wait to test leo aswell :p havent tried it yet!

22. Stianu89 thread starter macrumors member

Just got it now, and its SEXY :p And i loove LEO!