Just bought a MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 786guy, Oct 22, 2010.

1. 786guy macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,
    Just purchased a new macbook pro 13" 2.4 GHz yesterday. It is the most expensive thing I have bought for myself other than my car. I'm hoping for great performance and durability/reliability out of this machine! BTW, since this is so expensive, I'm ultra protective and paranoid with keeping it as clean and running efficiently for as long as possible.

I had a few questions:

1). I bought the moshi keyboard cover and it is covering the keyboard fine, but should I take it off periodically to avoid the overheating issue? I understand that the keyboard has vents that might be blocked. How often do you guys take it off?
    2). Is buying the moshi trackpad cover advisable? How about an actual case for the macbook pro? is it worth it? I have a zeroshock sleeve that I a using, but would a case provide extra durability in the event of the unit dropping.
    3). I was wondering if I should get a screen protector? My three year old came in and made a few smudges on the screen this morning...any tips on how I should clean those smudges. Also, what should I clean the actual keyboard and palm area with? Any cleaners or would a kleenex tissue paper work fine?
    4). Should I keep the unit plugged in all the time when I don't need to be mobile and I am just using it while sitting on my desk. I know it has a lot of battery hours, but I don't want to use the battery power unecessarily. At the same time, I also don't want to have a high power bill or harm the computer by constantly using the AC adaptor.
    5). Lastly, would getting Apple Care be a good investment? Can I also get a loaner in the event that something goes wrong?

Sorry for those long questions...I don't know much about computers much less macs, but it looks like I have come to the right place!

Thanks!

2. Resist macrumors 68030

Considering the unibody has limited venting, I'm on the fence about covering the keyboard. Even though my 2 week old 13" Macbook Pro spacebar key already is showing a shiny spot from wear. Excess heat causes more issues than cosmetic wear to a key.

I wouldn't bother with a screen protector, there are many screen cleaning products. And keep a microfiber cloth handy.

When using my Macbook I always keep it plugged in. The battery life only has so many recharge cycles, so when you don't have to go unplugged, don't.

The Applecare extended warranty is a waste of money and not an investment, you only make out if something goes wrong. Covered failures rarely happen and why Apple sells it, as it makes them lots of money. You are going to hear people pop off about it being "Peace of Mind", but if a product needs an extended warranty to last a few years.....then it's junk. Besides, Apple routinely covers defects way outside the warranty. But if you want accident protection then check into a SquareTrade warranty.

3. altecXP macrumors 65816

I have found that with most technology failures happen in the first year. As such I have never bought an extended warranty and have only been burned by that once. but it was an LCD that died in an HP after 2.5yrs. At that point I was already looking into a new laptop.

4. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

Congratulations, you just bought a great computer.

My Answers:

1, 2, and 3. I'd return these items for a refund. Leaving it uncovered for proper air circulation is very important. Just use some care and you will be fine. These are not needed.

4. Read this: http://goo.gl/Y0ZU

5. I have had over a dozen Apple laptops and I would never buy one without AppleCare. No loaners. For three years of coverage AppleCare cannot be beat. You have telephone coverage the entire time as well.

Enjoy your new Mac.... :)

5. Resist macrumors 68030

Actually the SquareTrade warranty beats it, because they also offer accident coverage.

6. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

OK, i rarely ever bold my answers to get noticed, but Absolutely do NOT leave it plugged in all the time. Try to use it 50/50 (charging and on battery) for the best battery life. Plugging it in all the time holds the battery at 100% which will cause the maximum capacity to degrade much faster than it would normally. There was a thread on this a while ago which I think got to like 200+ pages (if i remember correctly, it was a while ago) on which is better, plugged in or on battery. The general consensus was that both extremes are bad, and that the people with the best battery condition had it plugged in about half the time.

7. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Congrats ... nice computer you got ... my answers

1. the keyboard has no vents but does have the speakers ... you can leave the cover on no problem ... keeps the keys mint.

2. keyboard cover and case are fine ... only protects your MBP.

3.use iKlear ... expensive but works awesome ... it is the one Apple uses.

4. You can leave it plugged in ...just make sure you use your battery once in a while ... calibrate it once a month.

5. get Apple Care before your first free year of Apple care is running out.

Dont worry about the loaner ... chances are you will not use Apple Care.

enjoy your Mac:cool:

8. Resist macrumors 68030

If leaving it plugged in more than not, is just as bad as being unplugged, I think Apple would have given the Macbooks a switch to disconnect from the battery. But personally, I don't think it's a problem.

9. Resist macrumors 68030

Huh? The speaker on the 13" uses the key openings.

10. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

yes ... look in the little white book that came with your MBP "Everything Mac"

the sound is coming from the Keyboard
    :cool:

11. lostforwords macrumors newbie

I can't reply to all of your questions as I don't have a Mac yet, but as for the battery thing, please don't leave it plugged in all the time! I have an Acer, and have left it plugged in every time I use it. I didn't know that this seriously degrades the battery, and now I've been left with 2 minutes remaining whenever I take the charger out (although it's much less than that, it shuts down about half a minute after the charger slips out). I don't know what the battery life was before, as I'd never had it unplugged, but I'm guessing it was nowhere near 2 minutes. :p

I don't know if Macbooks are better with this, but I've had this laptop for a year and it's already screwed the battery right up, so be careful. :D

12. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

your MBP battery is covered for 1000 cycles ... if you used it on battery average every 2nd day for the next 5.5 years ... your battery should still be good.

these batteries are the best in the Industry. ... just remember to use your battery. and enjoy

13. i3igsmooth5769 macrumors 6502a

i3igsmooth5769

1) Keep the moshi cover....ive seen friend's MBP's keyboard all glossy and worn out, and its not pretty. As already stated, the keyboard is only a minimal means of ventilation so you shouldnt encounter overheating issues. i have an iskin keyboard cover and havent experienced any issues.

2) I would definitely advise the moshi trackpad....it blends in perfectly with the macbook and youll protect your investment. Those people that say return those items and save your money, obviously didnt read your post. You are looking to protect your investment and the moshi cover will do exactly that without compromising looks.

3) i would pass on the screen protector.

4) matter of preference and usage habits....but id pass on keeping it plugged in permanently.

5) Definitely invest in applecare. If anything wait till the 1 year apple manufacturer warranty is up, and search on ebay.

14. newbiemacguy128 macrumors regular

Another keyboard cover user here.

I was worried about heat issues with the cover on and have monitored heat while playing Starcraft 2 for hours and hours with and without the keyboard cover. No change at all.

15. 786guy thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi guys,
    Thanks for the replies. I called my local Apple Store and they were in favor of using the protectors...they said on my unit the only thing that comes out of the keyboard is the sound. I will test it out and if I notice any problems I will let you guys know.

I guess I won't invest in the screen protector. I'm one of the most anal and ocd people out there about keeping my things clean, and I just hate these smudges on my screen lol, but if you guys say so that I won't let it get to me.

I also need to record lectures and I have not purchased the MS08 office...how would I go about this...any other software I should download, or is the only way to go through garageband and do voice recording?

Thanks in advance!

16. Blu101 macrumors 6502a

Blu101

Just don't touch the screen. Easy enough. Dust it off ~once/week. Buy the iKlear kit to clean the whole thing - aluminum and screen.

Can't help you with the voice recording, but (MS) Office for Mac11 comes out this week, on the 26th, so just wait a few days.