Just bought a MacBook Pro!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by east1999, Apr 29, 2011.

1. east1999 macrumors member

Hey everyone!

Thanks to you all here at this forum, because I finally made a decision and got a 2011 MBP. I'll be going to college and my laptop had a broken screen, so I was using it as a desktop. I was considering the iPad (plus a cheaper Windows pc), or a MacBook (Air or Pro).

I got a 13" 2011 MBP, the default setup with 320gb and the i5 processor. Let me tell you a couple of things that really surprised and that you wouldn't get from reading the forum:

- The resolution is GREAT. Looking back, I don't know why this was made into such a big deal. Coming from a 15 inch laptop, I felt no difference, and in fact, I think I've felt less eye strain because everything seems crispier. These resolutions have been used for years so in retrospect I have no idea why people make a fuss about it! It looks like the next big step will be retina displays, not exactly higher resolution, just with more pixels. I'm telling you, 1280x800, with a laptop of this size-- you will feel great!!

-The lightness of this laptop. I mean, we all know how much it weighs, but it's so small! I understand the fascination with the Air but there's nothing wrong with sturdy!

-I love the bezel and the glass! Yes, it might get to be a pain down the road, and I barely even tried the Mac, but it feels so much more immersive than the aluminum bezel.

Having said all of that, I need to point one thing out, because it's the thing that's keep me from fully enjoying this laptop, as I wanna keep it pristine for now.

-It's HOT. Can't say i'm surprised, and I wasn't really buying it as hysteria. Some professional reviews were saying it's hot. I don't know if this is because of sandy bridge, lack of fans, overclocking.. can't judge that right now. Sometimes it's hot but it makes no difference as there is no fan noise and you don't have it in your lap. I've had it on my lap and it doesn't burn at all, but .. it can get you to reach for a book, so you can have something between your legs and that heat. There's also times when it's hot and noisy and there's no particular explanation. Might be the OS running for too long, or flash video (what a drag for laptops!!!), or something you did 30 mins ago. Whatever it is, it's not a pretty sight.

-I'm ok with hot because I can accept the tradeoff. Speed means heat in such a small form factor. What's not so funny is the fan noise getting noticeable during insignificant loads. I haven't even tried games yet. I really need to know if this tends to get way bad over time or as manageable as it is now. I did consider the Air and I wanted a silent operation, because I sometimes leave my PC on during the night and cannot sleep well as long as it's on (I don't think I'll get my own place for a while).

What do you guys think? Fantastic laptop, but I bought it on the verge of the new MBA launch. Should I wait a few weeks, take it back, and get the new Air? If it carries Sandy Bridge, won't it be hot as well? Also bear this in mind. I bought it with a real big discount, and I can't return it, just trade it for something else. The store where I bought it does not carry the Air with 4gb of RAM, and won't have these "10%" off days till November.

To be fair, I'm very happy with this laptop! I can't believe I considered getting a new pc. The build does not compare at all. I just wanna make sure I made the right choice in getting a new Mac because I'll keep it for a couple of years. The upgrades were a strong reason to get the MBP. No one upgrades processors but you can get a 256 ssd for cheap down the road. The heat is not yet a problem but more of an overall concern for someone getting a new laptop in 2011. Why is this still happening?

Sorry for writing so much!!

2. roja.romans macrumors newbie

If it is brand new and you got it from an Apple store you can take it back and get it replaced if that option doesn't work.

3. east1999 thread starter macrumors member

There's no Apple store in my town, so I got it from a reseller. I could've got it online with the education discount but it would still be more expensive. Plus I have a good warranty. Anyway, i'm now stuck with this seller.

4. jegbook macrumors regular

I would suggest getting iStatPro and possibly also SMCFanControl. These can help you keep an eye on how hard your processor is working and how hot it is running and what the fan speeds are.

On my 2010 13" MBP, fan speeds are usually at the minimum ~2000RPM. I think the default control doesn't increase fan speed until the CPU reaches ~70 degrees C.
    Even up to modest usage (~25% to ~35% CPU usage), my CPU temp stays under 65 C. 5% to 10% CPU and the temp is around 50 C.
    Using SMCFanControl just recently, I found that I can't really hear the fan until it is above 3000RPM.
    I don't know what others think, but even when the fan is going at 5000 to 6000 RPM (while playing games) I can hear it but don't find it loud. Noticeable, but not loud. CPU temps would be around 80 C, I think.

Anyway, you might keep track of temps and fan speed to make sure all is in order.

Cheers and enjoy the MBP!

5. Fugue macrumors 6502

I am planning to get the very same MBP you got, with exception of the 128GB SSD and I am nervous of the problems you mentioned. How loud does it get exactly?

6. Billymac19 macrumors regular

Billymac19

I'm waiting on this same exact model, actually in Memphis on it's way, first Mac ever for me, can't wait

7. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

If you're doing something processor intensive the fans get a little loud but it's not bad at all. I've owned many laptops and even with the fans at 6000+ RPM it's noticeable but not a problem. I think some people just want an ultra quiet machine, which it is, until you encode a movie or such.

8. Fugue macrumors 6502

I look forward to some thoughts on it! Maybe you can put up some youtube videos of it in action? :)

9. acedickson, Apr 29, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2011

acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

There are plenty of reviews on youtube as it stands now. What kind of action are you wanting to see it do?

10. tech324 macrumors 6502

I also bought the 13inch MBP 2011 just a few weeks ago and I love it. I was worried about the resolution but with MacOS I can stretch things on the trackpad. I can stretch with my finger on the trackpad and make things small or big. I never really did that with Windows. I love my MBP so far.

11. tech324 macrumors 6502

Oh and on the 13inch MBP, enable Spaces. I LOVE SPACES. It allows you to have more than one "desktop" area. IT IS AWESOME. I seperate my work and its awesome. Give it a try

Its under System Preferences

12. Fugue macrumors 6502

13" MBP's with 128GB SSD? There are less than a handful of videos on YouTube. Of those, they mostly showcase boot time and shut down. I want to see some videos showing its noise during a 1080p video or preferably a game. Maybe some videos of it running flash, web browsing, etc...

13. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

I just purchased the 13 MBP about 4 days ago. This is my first MBP. I have owned 2 iMacs and a Macbook in the past.

I find it very quiet and cool for the most part. I've only heard the fans kick in when I was playing Sims 3 and it did get pretty warm but not enough to burn you or anything.

Installed 8 gigs of ram today and a SSD. I was pleasantly surprised to see that if you install 8 gigs of ram, that it actually allocates more ram to your graphics. Graphics are showing as 512 mb instead of the 384? it had before.

I love this computer. I haven't touched my i7 Quad Core desktop PC since I bought this. :D For some reason my internet seems a lot faster on the MBP and my PC is using a Ethernet cable.

Overall impression: 13 inches of awesome. I was worried about coming from a quad core down to dual core but I need't have. This computer is fast. Its very portable, lightweight and depending on your needs, its more than capable. It's not really intended to be a gaming computer but will allow some games if your needs aren't too demanding on that end. The larger touchpad is very nice and I love the backlit keys.

Overall 4 out of 5 stars!

14. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

Umm the SSD is going to be silent when doing any of that. It's the fan noise you are most interested in hearing?

15. Billymac19 macrumors regular

Billymac19

Should be here on may 2nd! At least as of fedex tracking 5 mins ago :)

16. Fugue macrumors 6502

When was your order date by the way? I'm wondering how long it takes Apple to build one and ship it out. I'm excited!

17. Billymac19 macrumors regular

Billymac19

Ordered 26th, shipped out midnight 28Th, from china, left Memphis today, really fast so far

18. Matt00 macrumors newbie

I too just purchased one....question?????

This summer the new OS Lion will be coming out, will this be a free update, or will I have to purchase it?

Thanks,

PS This is my first Mac!:D

19. aoaaron macrumors 6502

20. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

It depends when it comes out, might be discounted if soon enough. Otherwise, we'll have to buy it.