Just bought a Macbook...some questions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ProwlingTiger, Jul 22, 2008.

1. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

Well...the switch had been a long time comin' for me. It finally came to a point where I was tired of near-5min load times and Windoze BS. So, I bought a Macbook and I'm not looking back.

I do have a few questions though.

1. I need a new router. I'm wondering if it is more recommended to buy an Airport Extreme and plug in an external HD or just buy a Time Capsule. I've heard some complaints with Time Capsules; as if the HD fails, you're screwed. And I've heard its networking is not the greatest. I'd prefer sticking with an Apple device, and Time Capsule attracts me as it has a built-in HD, but if its better to just get a router and external, I'll do that. I have a external for my Windoze comp....but would rather "move-on".

2. Does anyone use the Incase hardshells with neoprene sleeves? I want to keep my Macbook looking ship-shape and beautiful but I also need something to tote it around in. I've heard the hardshells are awesome, but I'm wondering if they fit in the sleeves.

Thanks,
    -Dan

2. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Forget the hard shells. They wind up scratching the computer more than
    if you didn't use one. Had ibooks/mb's for 5 years-the cases do fine
    given reasonable care.

The time capsule is pretty nice as for just a hundred or so more you've got a 500gb drive.

3. jaikob macrumors 6502

jaikob

I love my Incase hardshell, I don't recommend a sleeve if you are getting a hardshell though, the hardshell really does protect, and fits snug. The guy above must have had some problems.

4. ProwlingTiger thread starter macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

How about the invisible shields? Do those work well?

5. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

I don't know if you specified this or not, but there is a difference in the Black and White MacBooks when it comes to looks. My BlackBook is almost a year old and the outside looks just as new as the day I bought it, even though it has been at home and in school, jostled around, dropped once (MagSafe isn't always perfect, and yes I did almost have a heart attack), and sometimes transported without a case. I do however have an InCase case with an awesome fabric inside which seems to sort of clean it when it's inside. Was $50 and worth it.

The inside is a different story: the glossy screen has marks from where it has been touched - it can be cleaned easily but is annoying. The palm rests look alright, the trackpad looks somewhat oily and the keys look very oily. However recently I started using an iSkin Keyboard protector and while it at first impacts writing speed and makes the keys feel a little weird, it protects it.

The White Macbook is different - I think its scratches and scuffs are a bit more visible.

6. ProwlingTiger thread starter macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

Yeah, I was wondering also if there was anything to protect the palm rests.

Also, I like iChat. But I came from using Trillian on Windoze. I would like to have an all-in-one program for all my IM clients, but it appears iChat doesnt do this. Or am I missing something?

7. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

What exactly prevents you from formatting the windows External harddisk and continuing using it.. Post its model number and make..

8. ProwlingTiger thread starter macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

The main reason is that I still have lots of data on it. I'm a photographer, so I can't really wipe the drive at the current time. Plus, I'd like to keep a drive on my Windoze computer.