Just bought a Macbook tonight, having some trouble

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by The Red Menace, Dec 1, 2007.

1. The Red Menace macrumors member

Today I bought a Macbook, the black one. I am coming off about 4 macs in a row that I have never had problems with (knock on wood). This one, I open the box and start transferring files through the setup utility and it shuts down in the middle. No big deal right? I restart and start over, no problems. I get to the main screen and go to software update. Its taking FOREVER, so I restart again. I know, stupid. Then when I restart I get vertical lines across the screen, similar to when a tv station goes off the air, only in black and white. I restart again and everything seems ok. What the heck is going on? I have never had that stuff happen before. Should I just hope for the best? Has anyone seen this before? Thanks for any help.

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Boy, that could be a number of issues, but definitely not normal. You might want to try booting from the Restore disk and reinstalling the OS and doing the Update (staying VERY patient, of course ;)). Try not to put all your eggs into that basket yet, but wring it out thoroughly, keep every bit of packing materials, and it it's still dodgy on Monday, call Apple, and get it resolved.

3. The Red Menace thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, that would not be good considering I wiped my powerbook so my wife could have it. Oops. :confused: Stupidly, I was also using a program call my called deeper on my old mac. I did not delete it before transferring my data. It is a program which changed the cosmetic settings of the OS. Problem is it will not operate on the new OS and my dock is stuck in the lower right hand corner of the screen. This is pretty cool, but if I want to change it it looks like I may be stuck. Any suggestions?

4. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

First thing I learned is not to attempt surgery in the wee hours. Have a sleep and start fresh, look at what you've got, where you're at, what's currently still recoverable and what's history, and proceed accordingly.

Try using it without adding/modifying anything else tomorrow if possible. if it doesn't seem stable, plan on calling Apple Monday.