Just Bought a MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by aleXXXps, May 4, 2011.

1. aleXXXps macrumors member

So I just bought my new MacBook a few days ago and just bought the base model for $999. I absolutely love it! However, the multitasking isn't that great so I decided to buy 4gb of ram and see if that helps (didn't want to go 8gb, seems like too many issues/too much money). I like to keep music playing, some internet windows open, photoshop, and some torrent stuff going simultaneously. The other thing I didn't really like was the hard drive. It's only 250GB and 5400rpm. I was thinking of taking the hard drive that I just bought for my windows laptop, a Hitachi 500gb 7200rpm drive, and putting it into the MacBook. However, after reading all kinds of noise, vibration, and battery issues people have had in various forums I decided against it. I've got 4 1TB USB drives for my work and figured I can just use those for storage. Regardless, I love my MacBook and can see myself using it for years to come!

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

4 gigs will definitely help. Enjoy! You'll love it!

3. dmk1974 macrumors 68020

dmk1974

I'm picking up a 2010 MacBook for my daughter today. I was wondering...can I pop in a 4GB stick that I had ordered from Crucial for my mid-2010 iMac that I used to have? This particular stick is PC3-10600 DDR3, but I know this white MacBook says it takes PC3-8500 DDR3. Thanks!

4. msjones macrumors 6502

msjones

It should underclock fine to run at the MacBook speed.

5. dmk1974 macrumors 68020

dmk1974

Thanks. I'll give it a shot tonight.

6. aleXXXps thread starter macrumors member

I really like the MacBook white's body style and build quality. I'm not saying the MacBook pros are bad, but I didn't really like the aluminum style on them. Plus, I think it seems way more economical (in my case) to get the one I like and upgrade it to 4gb of ram. It may not be as quick, but for what I use it for, I'd probably never notice.

7. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I'm curious what do you mean by not good at multi-tasking? I have a 2006 MBP that multi-tasks quite well unless I'm using the Apple pro-apps, or VMWare...

I too prefer the Macbook style to the current Macbook Pro style.

8. AWallen90 macrumors 6502

I recently upgraded to 8GB DDR3 ram and with everyday tasks there really isn't much of a difference. I did so because I want to run vmware with 4GB so it was definitely worth the upgrade.

For a true speed boost nothing beats an SSD.

9. aleXXXps thread starter macrumors member

Since I bought it, I always have the mail app, utorrent, itunes, firefox (with at least 5-6 tabs open), and occasionally Photoshop, iPhoto, or Steam open. I also watch alot of MKV video files that are between 6gb and 10gb each. The computer got really really laggy when I had too much stuff open. That was when I had 2gb of ram, though. Since upgrading to 4, I have had no issues whatsoever and can open lots of stuff without a major slowdown. I have VMware Fusion installed with Windows 7, but I just put it on to try it out for the "cool" factor and partially because I was scared to leave my windows roots behind for my first mac.

SSD doesn't seem too economical right now as I need alot of space, so I'm thinking of upgrading it to a 500gb hard drive minimum (5400 rpm, not 7200 due to noise/vib issues I've heard about)

10. AWallen90 macrumors 6502

11. dmk1974 macrumors 68020

dmk1974

12. aleXXXps thread starter macrumors member

I have 2-2gb sticks of crucial in mine, no problems whatsoever.

13. discounteggroll macrumors 6502

discounteggroll

I first put a 60GB SSD and moved my HD to my optibay. That made a WORLD of difference. I then went from 4-8 GB and did not see much difference at all. If you can afford the SSD I'd go for it, but the 4GB of RAM is definitely a worthwhile inexpensive upgrade.

14. aleXXXps thread starter macrumors member

SSD sounds like its awesome performance wise, but the storage just seems to suck for the price. Maybe in a year or two it will become dirt cheap!

15. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

16. aleXXXps thread starter macrumors member

That drive does look sweet. I feel though that vibration is going to bother the crap out of me with my new, pretty macbook. I love how quiet it is right now and am fine with the speed of it, just not the storage capacity.