Just bought a MacBook!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by odp1979, Aug 21, 2008.

1. odp1979 macrumors member

odp1979

Jumped ship from Windows Vista. Is there a lot to learn with Leopard?

2. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Most things should be pretty intuitive with OS X. There's really only one thing you need to know and that's that the red 'x' button in the corner doesn't always function like its equivalent would in Windows (to get the same effect you have to quit most apps in OS X... command + Q on the keyboard is the fastest way to do so). While on that note, the green button is not maximize on the Mac, it's resize to the right size... in other words, it makes the window as large as the window wants to be, but you can drag the triangle in the corner of a window to resize the window to your desired size. Other than that, there's really not much you can't figure out easily on your own. Enjoy your new MacBook, they're great machines.

3. bartzilla macrumors 6502a

Welcome.
    There's as much as you want / need to learn. If you want to get under the covers and poke around at how it all works, you can. If you don't, that's fine too. The pointer to the missing manual isn't a bad idea, and my own advice as a long time Windows user who got himself a Mac laptop is to take your new system on its own terms; it doesn't work like Windows and you'll get frustrated trying to make it work that way...

4. odp1979 thread starter macrumors member

odp1979

5. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

sounds like a bit of an impulse buy. Either way there isn't much to learn. i just got mine 3 days ago. The way i heard of to learn OSX is to think of how you would want something to work and it probably does work that way. Enjoy!

6. isauce macrumors regular

isauce

If you come from the Windows world, OS X will be such an exciting time. Learning something new is always great. This forum is a great place to get to OS X, as I did.

7. Mac-Lady macrumors member

Welcome, I just got my MB yesterday. It is a lot faster than my HP, but everything is so different it will take a week or so for me to get use to the different OS but I love my new MB. You won't look back, enjoy.

8. tmelvin macrumors 6502

tmelvin

I jumped ship back in March, and haven't looked back. Computing is fun again! You'll love it, and won't regret it.

Welcome and enjoy!

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

10. snowpea macrumors newbie

I haven't gotten my MB yet (waiting one more Tuesday), but I've been watching some videos on YouTube about the OS, and tips & tricks, and such. It was a nice way for me to see if I would be ready for a change, and to learn at the same time. I also recommend this blog: http://www.davidalison.com/. It was nice to read about someone's process of switching. Enjoy your new toy!

11. Mr. Bubbles macrumors member

Mr. Bubbles

Basically all you need to know about OS X coming from windows is:
    cmd-w cmd-q and drag n drop

Leopard can be as simple or as powerful as you need it to be.

And I totally agree with the previous poster about not trying to make it act like windows, I did that with my first Mac and remember getting frustrated as well :)

Just kind of go with the flow with OS X and it really does come naturally!

12. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

The best way to learn is to play, and now it is so much fun!