Just bought a Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Smileyguy, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Smileyguy macrumors 6502

The only purpose of this thread is to share my happiness with this purchase. I've been been using as 12' Powerbook on 10.3 for the last two years - it was a great machine, but after a year (I bought it secondhand) it started to slow significantly, then the disc drive went, then the wireless, then the battery, then the ethernet port (I had to prop the cable up for it work).

Anyway, I was putting off buying a new laptop as I was earnestly waiting for the new machines, but I just got fed up with the constant overheating-and-automatically-going-to-sleep, so I made the purchase yesterday.

Really happy - it's very snappy, and I'm really impressed with Leopard. Love the latest versions of Mail, and while I haven't really started playing with Spotlight, Dashboard or Spaces yet, the overall feel is great.

FYI, I got the low end Macbook. 2.1 Ghz, 1Gb etc...:D

2. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

Good move. Welcome to the second half of this decade and Intel Macs.

My sons PB 15" does the sleep thing too but he replaced it with a MBP a year ago.

3. Smileyguy thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. I'd read some 12' Powerbook to MacBook switchers saying they didn't like the Macbook keyboard, and while it doesn't feel quite as solid and the keys are spaced slightly differently as a far as I can tell, it's still very good. Also the buttons don't make as loud a noise when you press them, which means I can now go on the computer when my girlfriend is asleep without her complaining. ;)

4. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

Glad you are enjoying your new MacBook. They are pretty sweet.

Congrats!

5. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Congrats. I love the current gen Macbooks and still will regardless of the new aluminum ones coming (whenever that comes--I hate aluminum anyway). I also love the keyboard. Like you said it is quiet and easy to type(at least for me).

You made a good decision.

6. ksabek macrumors member

ya I also got the macbook 3 weeks ago, I switched from a PC and what a different world everyone, I just wish my family will lsn about converting to a Mac. Different and much more reliable comp and world!!!!!:)

7. Mushrooshi macrumors regular

Buy Applecare, I Swear You Will Regret It If You Don't!

8. timestoby macrumors 6502

im so happy for you,lol. but i would have waited.

9. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Good for you. I wouldn't of waited. Good choice OP. lol

10. Skeletal-dæmon macrumors 6502

Congratulations. Especially if you're a fan of Mac White as the current MacBook may sadly be the last white plastic Mac (well, it HAS been ten years). The MacBook is an amazing machine and even if they do update them pretty soon as many suggest they will, remember that what you have is still an Apple computer. You still win!

11. Random Gecko macrumors member

I love Mac white, and would love to buy one now, but I think I'm gonna wait it out until atleast the spec of the new ones is revealed.

12. pedroistheman macrumors 6502

pedroistheman

I find myself in quite a similar situation. I am running on some windows xp piece of crap and decided to buy a macbook a few months ago. Then, I logged on to Macrumors to check the update cycle. Of course, I was given the "don't buy unless you need" message. So I checked out the forums, and of course I saw all the new macbooks rumors. I have waited this long and I'll wait until the 14th when I hear the new macbooks are coming... meanwhile I read forums like this and ask myself why I didn't just buy a macbook. I mean, what are we really looking for in the update? Maybe I could get an old one on discount after the new ones are released?

13. Random Gecko macrumors member

From what I've read, I don't think that's possible. I believe they're sort of "out with the old, in with the new" immediately.

I'm kinda holding out for any confirmed spec on the new models. I keep hearing rumours of the graphics card, glass track pad etc, so I'm in two minds.

14. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

I have been waiting for the new MB since Feb. I got a refurb 2.2 in june and I have enjoyed it. I was looking tonight and was tempted to get a 2.2 MBP refurb for $1499. I think I can wait though. My MB is sitting here looking at me.

Have fun with your new machine.:D

15. Skeletal-dæmon macrumors 6502

I couldn't agree more. Go forth and buy! Even if its not the newest its still Apple.

16. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

Apple will have all the old stock discounted on the clearance page.

17. Random Gecko macrumors member

Really? Interesting. Do they discount much?

18. Gadget-Girl macrumors newbie

19. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Yep. Anywhere between 10-30% typically. You can probably buy a blackbook for 1100-1200 after they introduce the new ones. I don't see them going to much less than that though. Basic white ones probably 899. Just my guess.