Just bought a Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Dakotafan, Nov 14, 2008.

1. Dakotafan macrumors 6502

Hello,

I just bought a macbook about 2 months ago and so far I'm loving it. Are there any recommended or must have apps? I'm running cyberduck, adium, firefox and transmission...Also which is the best program to run windows on it? is it parallel?

I use it for music, email, web, etc

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Fill your boots. ;)

3. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Apps: VLC and Perian for videos.

Widgets: TV Forcast and iStat

It's mostly up to whatever you need. A lot of basic needs are pretty much met out of the box.

4. sheltem macrumors member

Quicksilver. Nice application launcher. Use launchy if you are on windows. Growl is another nice program.

5. Dakotafan thread starter macrumors 6502

I have that and started to use it, but man that's a serious app...I've only begun with that one...also does anyone do mods to the dock, icons, skins, etc?? Where is the best place to get started with that?

6. Dakotafan thread starter macrumors 6502

7. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Go to http://www.panic.com/candybar/

Great site to customize your dock and the program makes it so easy to do. You can also use LiteIcon https://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/icons_screensavers/liteicon.html, but it is very limited on what icons you can change. Candybar lets you change all of them. Extremely easy.

Here is my dock.

Attached Files:

8. MacJenn macrumors regular

9. Dakotafan thread starter macrumors 6502

10. Dakotafan thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks. Where can you get customized icons for your apps? This might be stupid but I downloaded an icontainer in candybar and it only let's me change the system icons and dock. I want to change firefox, adium, itunes, etc..

11. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

I got the icons from a number of sites. Check out InterfaceLift and DeviantArt for starters. Those are 2 good ones. Many of mine came from random sites I came across.

Candybar should allow you to change all of your icons. As you can tell from my dock I posted above I changed all of mine (I hate the original Apple ones plus I like to be a little different and customize things). Make sure you are running it right.

12. Dakotafan thread starter macrumors 6502

I see...thanks. One last question if you don't mind. Can you install themes like these : http://interfacelift.com/themes-mac/

I see you need a program called shapeshifter from unsanity, but it doesn't work wth OSX 10.5.x

13. youssefm macrumors 6502

For windows i would def. recommend parallels 4.0
    The integration between mac and windows is awesome... and for widgets get istat and if you need a weather widget