Just bought a MBA and iPad Air 2

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cd3267, Oct 18, 2014.

1. cd3267 macrumors newbie

Hi guys have recently got on the apple track with getting an iPhone 5 two years ago and now having an iPhone 6. So basically I'm hooked.

Any how was sitting last night and decided to buy a new MBA and iPad Air 2 from Apple. Had an email address from uni last year and got some discount from the EDU store.

I was just wondering about apps for the MBA as I've never had one before. And have some questions if YA have time to answer.

What are the top apps to download to get the best outta my new MBA.

I need to all the Ms office stuff - would I need MS Office or would the apple office suite be good enough?

Also I Want to do some Java Programming and I use Blue J so I think they have a Mac Version, is there any other Java IDE's?

Want to do some iOS app development.What do I need for that?

What web browser is best for Mac? Safari or Chrome?

Do I need an antivirus?

That's all I can think off at the mo however as a first time Mac buyer of anybody can recommend anything else I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think MS Office for the Mac is vastly superior to Apple's iWork suite. With that said, I think the iPad/Mac integration that occurs with Yosemite and iOS8 is pretty cool.

It all depends on how you use office. For instance, Numbers lacks a lot of features that Excel uses and importing/exporting usually messes up the spreadsheets. I believe they're free for new mac users, so download them and use iWork, see if it fits your needs.

3. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

1Password is a top notch password manager. And in my opinion, a program that should be on everyone's need to have list.

You don't need a antivirus program.

4. cd3267 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help there mate.

I'll download them and see how they fit into my needs.

Cheers