Just bought a MBA, should I cancel order and wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MAGNUStm, Nov 28, 2011.

  1. MAGNUStm macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2011
    #1
    With talks of a refresh early next year, is it worth holding off to purchase the latest MBA? I ordered a 13" 1.7ghz thru Best Buy last week when they offered it at $200 off msrp but now I'm second guessing my purchase.

    If it was a regular refresh I probably wouldn't consider returning but I imagine the upgrade to IvyBridge will be fairly significant and worth the wait.


    Thoughts?
     
  2. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #2
    Do you need it now?

    I'd say keep it and enjoy the computer, if the next refresh is significant then you cold always sell the MBA to offset the cost of a new one.

    Personally, I'd not worry about what might be released, as you'll be stuck in that endless look forever.
     
  3. alust2013 macrumors 601

    alust2013

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2010
    Location:
    On the fence
    #3
    Ivy bridge really isn't that huge over sandy. The really big jump was sandy bridge from core 2, but it is going to be at least 6 months or so before a major update, so it really isn't worth the wait. Generally the waiting game isn't worth playing in the computing world
     
  4. SDColorado macrumors 65816

    SDColorado

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2011
    Location:
    Highlands Ranch, CO
    #4
    Agreed with the above posts. If you need it now and it meets your needs, then don't sweat a future refresh. It isn't as though the computer you purchased to meet your needs today, is suddenly obsolete with the arrival of a new one. The current models are fantastic computers and you got a nice price on it. I would say enjoy your new purchase for awhile and look to sell it for something that will be far more of an upgrade in future years.
     
  5. KPOM macrumors G5

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2010
    #5
    I think what's more realistic is that Apple will release a 15" Air in Q1, and then perform a "normal" update to Ivy Bridge in the summer. I had thought that mobile Ivy Bridge chips won't be shipping in volume until April. If you are looking for an 11" or 13" model, my advice is to keep your original order.

    Anyway, the main advantages of Ivy Bridge will be a better GPU and lower power consumption. There will be a bigger leap in 2013 when the Haswell chips come out. That will be on the new CPU microarchitecture, and promises even lower power consumption and more power.
     
  6. MAGNUStm thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2011
    #6
    I'll be holding on to my original purchase which I'm sure will be more than enough for my needs.

    Thank you everyone for the input.
     

Share This Page