Just bought a MBP 17 inch thinking it was the new version. worth returning till new..

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by latempete, Dec 4, 2008.

  1. latempete macrumors member

    Dec 2, 2008
    I posted earlier about wanting an new MBP and asked if I should wait. It was easier than explaining this but I need your opinions.

    A week ago I bought the 17 inch MBP from Amazon based heavily on the user reviews. I didn't find out until after I received and used the computer that it didn't have the DDR3 RAM, 1GHz front-side bus or the new Nvidia graphics 9400 and 9600 in it. :( The three reviews on the 17 inch MBPs page said it did have all of these new features.

    So now I am stuck. Amazon's return policy states that open computers will incurr a 15% restocking fee. I have talked to them repeatedly about returning the computer for a full refund because the information on their webpage was wrong. I keep getting the run around from them. I am pretty sure I can get a full refund from them it'll just take a little more time.

    My question is: Is it worth returning this computer and waiting to get the new 17 inch model? Will it be that much improved do you think? I look at benchmarks between this and the new 2.53 15 inch MBP and there doesn't seem to be that much difference. I do like the new aluminum block construction and higher specs always sound good. I am a heavy Photoshop user so the better video card may be a plus for me. What do you think?
  2. chaosbunny macrumors 68000


    Mar 11, 2005
    down to earth, far away from any clouds
    Have you seen/tried the glassy-glossy screen of the new mbps? Be sure you like it if you want to return your machine.

    As for the video card, with CS4 Photoshop finally uses it, but not to a degree where you will see any performance difference between the old and new gfx chip. Processor wise there is almost no difference, unless you pay extra for the 2,8 ghz upgrade.

    If you like your book and it has no flaws why not just keep it and save yourself the hassle of returning, ordering a new one (waiting if you want a 17" with the new features since the 17" version has not been updated yet) and hoping for no rev-A bugs with the new machine.

    That said it's hard to recommend a 17" these days, since you can get a refurb/left over previous generation 15" with identical specs except screen size for half the price of a new 17".
  3. latempete thread starter macrumors member

    Dec 2, 2008
    No I haven't seen the new glass screen yet. Where I live no one carries Apple computers for me to check it out. (The local Best Buy carries an iMac and that's about it.)

    The reason I want the 17 inch is the high resolution screen. I haven't used less than 1600 x 1200 in years and I am accustomed to all of the space. I do love the screen size/resolution on this 17 inch MBP.

    Do you think the faster front-side bus and RAM will make much difference?
  4. amoda macrumors 6502a

    Aug 9, 2006
    Would you mind posting a link to the Amazon page you're looked at?

    The information on their webpages, that I have seen so far, are all correct. Wether or not the reviews are correct is not important. They clearly state the specs, and show a picture. If you decided to ignore what they said and go with what the reviews said then it's your fault and they're not liable.

    Anywho, if you can live without it for a little while I'd return it. The Pro Apple event is soon (January) and the new 17" might be revealed then (total speculation).

    If you need it now then keep it. Yeah there will be small updates and whatnot but if it fits your needs and you need it now then you kind of have no option.

    Best of luck.
  5. latempete thread starter macrumors member

    Dec 2, 2008
  6. imac9556 macrumors 6502a

    Jul 12, 2004
    Umm yes it does...Click on technical details:


    Product Features
    2.5GHz Intel Core Duo
    4GB Memory
    320GB hard drive
    Double-layer SuperDrive
    Processor, Memory, and Motherboard
    Hardware Platform: Mac
    Processor: 2.5 GHz Intel Core Duo
    System Bus Speed: 800
    Number of Processors: 2
    RAM: 4000 MB
    RAM Type: DDR2 SDRAM
    Hard Drive
    Size: 320 GB
    Manufacturer: Portable
    Type: Serial ATA
    Graphics and Display
    Graphics RAM: 512 MB
    Ports and Connectivity
    Modem: None
    Rated Charge (normal use): 5 hours

    Plus the part number in the amazon.com listing isn't at all related to the new 15" Macbook Pros: (http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/specs.html) <-- scroll down to middle of page, and the new 15" have the following part numbers: MB471LL/A, MB470LL/A) In Apple.com store, the 17" which shows the spec, the part number is: MB766LL/A (which is the one you bought from amazon.com)

    Product Details
    Shipping Weight: 11.4 pounds (View shipping rates and policies)
    Shipping: Currently, item can be shipped only within the U.S.
    Note: Gift-wrapping is not available for this item.
    ASIN: B0013FJNCM
    Item model number: MB766LL/A
    Average Customer Review: (25 customer reviews)
    Amazon.com Sales Rank: #374 in Computers & PC Hardware (See Bestsellers in Computers & PC Hardware)
    Date first available at Amazon.com: October 14, 2008

    Obviously, those are from the Early 2008 Macbook Pros....I would return it, man up the 15% restocking fee, and wait for the new 17"
  7. Saeta macrumors newbie

    Dec 4, 2008
    The specs are there. Look for "Technical Details" then click on the link "See More Technical Detail"...
  8. observer macrumors member

    Jan 26, 2007
    Amazon reviews for all MBPs are together

    The problem is that Amazon doesn't separate its reviews for the MBP 15" and the MBP 17". Yes, I think you have a reasonable complaint to Amazon.

    On the other hand, what you got is the current MBP 17", which is what you thought you were ordering. If you had gone to the Apple website to look at the details of the specifications, you'd have seen exactly what you were getting. If you really care about getting a recently upgraded model, you need to pay attention to when things get upgraded.

    It sounds like you really want the big screen, and it's fast enough for your needs. I say keep it.
  9. latempete thread starter macrumors member

    Dec 2, 2008
    I don't know how many times I looked at that page and totally missed that. Ugh. I paid about $2569 for the computer (so I saved some money there) and the restocking fee would be about $400. I don't have a ton of money so I may have to live with my mistake. It's not horrible. This is a beautiful machine and I really like it.
  10. amoda macrumors 6502a

    Aug 9, 2006

    Don't be too hard on yourself, you still got an amazing powerhorse. I'd stay on the line with Amazon, see if they'll do anything for you anyways. If they don't waive the fee they might decrease it to something you can afford. Especially if you mention that you would purchase the new 17" from them, not from Apple.

    I would mention Mr. Han's photos. The ones they provide are all of the 17', and so is his I guess but the main laptop in his photos is the 15" unibody. I'd mention that, and at least if they don't help you out they might take it down to stop someone else making the same mistake.

Share This Page