Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
I downloaded a program, but i want to uninstall it, i know unlike windows there is no uninstall. so i went to finder searched the program and then found the file and sent it to trash. is that same as uninstalling it. it was a program i downloaded to rip something off an iPod.

also i have a 500gb hd on my new mbp. would it slow my computer down if i pet 60 gb of music on my macbook? I'm going to eventually put it on a external hd, but i just want to know if keeping it on my computer will slow it down.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
I downloaded a program, but i want to uninstall it, i know unlike windows there is no uninstall. so i went to finder searched the program and then found the file and sent it to trash. is that same as uninstalling it. it was a program i downloaded to rip something off an iPod.

also i have a 500gb hd on my new mbp. would it slow my computer down if i pet 60 gb of music on my macbook? I'm going to eventually put it on a external hd, but i just want to know if keeping it on my computer will slow it down.

Throwing it in the trash would do the trick. Some apps leave some files behind but a simple search can resolve this issue. If it were a .app you downloaded, throwing it in the trash should be good enough.

You can put 400GB of music on it and it wouldn't slow down your HDD. Empty space is waste space, it is a common misconception that the emptier the hard drive, the faster it is. Although, defrags are always helpful in speeding things up.

-tWv-

macrumors 68000
May 11, 2009
Ohio
Throwing it in the trash would do the trick. Some apps leave some files behind but a simple search can resolve this issue. If it were a .app you downloaded, throwing it in the trash should be good enough.

You can put 400GB of music on it and it wouldn't slow down your HDD. Empty space is waste space, it is a common misconception that the emptier the hard drive, the faster it is. Although, defrags are always helpful in speeding things up.

But you also don't want to have the hard drive completely filled. The HDD still needs a little bit of room for some swap space when there is too much activity going on for the RAM to handle

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
But you also don't want to have the hard drive completely filled. The HDD still needs a little bit of room for some swap space when there is too much activity going on for the RAM to handle

You're correct, that is why I suggested a number as high as 400 and not 500 as in a 500GB HDD, he will only have 480 or so available to him; depending on how much the system is using initially. But again, your point is completely valid.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
It was a program I download one was irip. The other senuti. Idk if they were.app I'm assuming it was. Thanks for your help! So I'll just keep the songs on my comp for now until I get an external hd. Only reason to get external hd is cause incase my hd crashes

-tWv-

macrumors 68000
May 11, 2009
Ohio
It was a program I download one was irip. The other senuti. Idk if they were.app I'm assuming it was. Thanks for your help! So I'll just keep the songs on my comp for now until I get an external hd. Only reason to get external hd is cause incase my hd crashes

Which is the best reason to get one. There are so many stories that show up on the forum about HDD crashes. Be safe and grab an external and use time machine, it's always good to have in case worse comes to worst.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Idk how to even use time machine! Also any one recommend anything I should download for my mac

-tWv-

macrumors 68000
May 11, 2009
Ohio
Idk how to even use time machine! Also any one recommend anything I should download for my mac

If you plug in an external drive it'll ask you if you want to use it as a time machine drive. There's really nothing to know apart from following the instructions.

Search around the forum for threads related to apps on the Mac and youll find a lot of good suggestions. There's tons of threads on the topic of what apps to install

waynep

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2009

Put the music on your MBP. Then use the USB drive as a Time Machine Drive. Works great that way. I did that until I got a Time Capsule, now I run Time Machine backups to the TC.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
You should use your external for backups. Don't move your music from computer to external and then access from there only – it will become a pain as you will have to connect via USB every time. You could always get TC (Time Capsule) and do a wireless backup using TM (Time Machine). Another poster described how to set it up so just follow those instructions. Also, I'm sure if you do a YouTube search – you'll find a detailed video on how to set up TM, if needed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.