Just bought a MBP, now i need advice

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by x2unleashed, Jul 10, 2010.

1. x2unleashed macrumors newbie

x2unleashed

Hello everyone, Lastnight I just bought a macbook pro 15" and its almost 11:20 am est and I still Havent opend it. Scared that somone or somthing will scratch it or damage it. This is my first mac and I want it to be in the best condition so Im here today to ask what will be the best case I can get for it?
    I want somthing that will offer a good protection but not somthing that will deform the aluminum. I had a bad experince when I bought a ipod touch when I used a griffin product that left a huge scratch so I really dont want to make that mistake again of getting cheep cases.

thank you.

2. pjcforpres2020 macrumors regular

First off, congrats on your purchase. As for a case, most hard cases do have the real potential to scratch the surface of the product they are protecting from scratches. If you want to be 100% sure this is avoided, get a skin for it, and a neoprene pouch for carrying it in.

Honestly, though, these are pretty rugged machines, and as long as you carry it in a good pouch, and don't toss it around at home, scratches are not much of a worry.

3. suburbia macrumors 6502

I've had my MBP for over 2 years now; there are only superficial scratches on the bottom, non on the top, and no dents. I'm not overly-cautious or protective of my notebook when traveling, but it's in a professional environment most of the time-- not at a frat party or at a football game, so...

Having saId that, I don't have any protective casing to protect my MBP, I just use a protective sleeve. Unless you're accident-prone, or like to bring your notebook to a party-environment, I think a protective sleeve is all you need. (And those casings ruin the overall aesthetic of the MBP's sleek design.) And invest a sturdy bag to carry it in, and I think you're good. :)

4. Patrick Boyle macrumors member

You purchased a brand new MacBook several hours ago and it's just sitting in the box doing nothing? Disgusting...

On a more serious note, your laptop is going to get scratched. The sooner you come to terms with that, the better your mental health will be. You can handle it like a newborn, and put fugly skins and protectors on it all you want. All the protectors do is make it look worse than if you just left it naked with a few scratches no one will notice anyway.

5. Identity Fraud macrumors 6502

I'm worried about scratches on mine too but it's a fact of life that anything you use a lot will show signs of wear. Just don't abuse and drop the damn thing and you'll be fine.

6. RT2020 macrumors regular

My take...

It's a computer, not a piece of jewellery or fine art. It should be a tool for communication, entertainment, and creativity

My 1.5 year old unibody has no scratches except for on the bottom. I don't baby it at all.

Even then, I would rather put up with scratches and enjoy the product instead of some nasty plastic cover over it. Its like putting a plastic cover on a sofa

7. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

Theres no need for you to be that cautious, the MBPs are very durable, I bang the back of my screen against the second shelf of my desk all the time and I dont have any dents or scratches, just invest in a good laptop bag if your going to travel a lot. I think a case would ruin the MBP cosmetically.

8. 0nly macrumors newbie

0nly

I just got my first brand new never used before Macbook Pro as well and I was kinda freaked out to open it up. I got home and it took me about 4 hours before I opened it. I was so worried about all the awful posting about defects, I just didnt have the heart to open the pretty box.
    Its perfect still, treat it like a baby. No case I dont want cheap looking plastic on my sleek mackbook, just a sleeve.

9. DanMacApple macrumors 6502

Hi, I also just recently purchased a new MBP and decided to go with the MacCase Jacket and very happy with it. It is like a case and sleeve combined with extra pockets to keep some accessories. You can view these cases at http://www.mac-case.com/ if you are interested in what they look like.

10. Identity Fraud macrumors 6502

Wow guys, I understand being worried about causing damage to something that cost you a good amount of change but leaving it in the box for hours out of fear? :p Come'on, you bought it for a reason... use it... enjoy.