Just bought a MBP with a scratch

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pukifloyd, May 23, 2010.

1. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

Hello people,

I bought a 13 inch MBP yesterday from the apple store. I didn't check it there but when I came home and opened it, I found out that there was about 1.5cm long and fairly deep scratch on the bottom and its very much visible. It was on my lap for just about 3-4 minutes(I just updated the software and thats it) and it didn't touch any hard/scratchy surface at all. I called them and they said they will replace it without any problem.

Now the problem is that the store is about 70 miles away (an hour and a half drive) and I can't go there again (don't have time). They said they can't ship it from the store. Today I called apple again (on the 1-800 number) and they said they can ship it but it will take time. I don't have time (leaving country next week) so I'll have to go to the store again.
    I was wondering that if I should even go to them? Its such a long and tiring process.
    Other problem is that this MBP is a gift for someone. That's why I was asking for a replacement.
    What do you guys suggest? If anyone has gone through this, how much time does it take for apple to ship the replacement? They said they'll first send the return shipping box and then will send the replacement.

And if I go the store again, can I ask for a gift card? ;)

(Please check out the attached pic)

ps- don't blame me...I am sure it wasn't my fault.

Attached Files:

2. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

You sure it didn't get caught on a pant zipper or something while it was on your lap?

3. pukifloyd thread starter macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

I am sure of it. I was wearing shorts at that time :)

4. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

If you want Apple to exchange it pronto, here's your answer, get in the car and make the drive to the Apple store. It's Sunday, it's not like traffic will be hamper your trip.

5. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

Seen as though you are within the 14 days they should ship you the replacement first then send a courier out to collect the damaged one from you either the same day or the day after.

When I needed to replace mine I phoned Apple and the next day they sent me a brand new MBP and then a courier out the same day to collect my broken one.

6. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

As others already suggested, go to Apple Store as soon as you can to let them know. The sooner you deal with it, the better.

7. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

Gotta ask............... Arizona and India. :confused:. That's about as polar opposite as I can imagine. There must be a great story behind that setup.

Anyway, don't fret about the scratch. That scratch is on a replaceable panel and can be swapped out in two minutes. Just give the store manager a heads up that you would like it replaced sometime in the future. Try to get an email confirmation.

cheers and congrats on the new Mac.

8. aigoya macrumors member

I had a machining defect on mine after i got it. It took me a week to actually even see it.

But like others suggested, you should definitely take it back and get it fixed/changed. If the timeline doesn't fit, make sure they are aware of it until you get back from your trip.

Unfortunately for me i have to wait 2 weeks since i got mine online D:

good luck!

9. TxMacAddict macrumors 6502

The first MBP 13 i received for my girlfriend had a scrape on the bottom.. and we drove all the way home without checking it out first. So we make the trek all the way back up to the store and swap it out for another one.. and sure enough it had a mark on the lid. I asked for a third one (by this time the employees were all mumbling under their breath) and an employee even tried to come look at it to explain how it was normal and I shouldn't be concerned about it. Well the third one was the charm. Even the plastic wrapper around the Macbook was crystal clean (it was cloudy and dirty looking on the others.) So I am definitely glad I insisted on a MacBook that hadn't been scratched at the factory.

It may be a pain in the ass to go back.. but if the scratch bothers you its probably worth it.

10. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

make the drive, u dont want to give sucha situation any "breathing room" for the fact that apple can easily turn this scratch dilemma around and pin it on you and won't even consider giving you a new one. i know if i had a scratch like that, i would have driven out there the same day! i wouldn't be able to smile knowing the amount of money i dropped on one of these things for it to not be perfect out of the box.

go!!

11. pukifloyd thread starter macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

Thank you for your advice people ... :)
    I will surely go again...If it was mine I would've gone after coming back...but this is a gift for someone...that's why I can't take the risk...the scratch is clearly visible...

i just got to know that the back to school promo started today :mad:

is there any chance that i can get the free ipod now? :(

Thanks
    well...I just shifted in arizona...and spend a lot of time in india too...thats why :)