Just bought a new 15" MacBook Pro 16GB RAM from Apple

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dtdyer02, Jun 15, 2014.

1. Dtdyer02 macrumors newbie

I bought the MacBook Pro 3 weeks ago primarily to use for my photography and video editing. It's amazing for this, and does everything really quickly.
    It allows my to make amazing videos with ease for example https://vimeo.com/98187661

I know this mac is capable of high end gaming and I'm interested to know where people get their games from? Example car games
    I know you can also connect a ps3 controller via Bluetooth.

Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The Mac App store is probably where you'll find most of the games you want.

3. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

I'm playing Dirt 2 on my iMac right now (I also have the 750m GPU) and I play it maxed out at 70fps with a PS3 controller via Bluetooth without any additional software to configure it.

If the Mac App Store and Steam don't satisfy your needs, you will have to install Windows on your MBP.

4. Dtdyer02 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, i"ve just tried a demo of Dirt 2.
    The fans were going nuts. In fact I don't think I ever heard the fans before.
    Is this normal and ok?

The whole Macbook Pro got really hot.

5. Acronyc macrumors 6502a

It's completely normal for the fans to be working hard when you are gaming, especially any modern 3D title.

6. Freyqq macrumors 68040

That is normal. When gaming, you are pushing the laptop to its limits rather than web browsing, etc.

7. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

I use bootcamp and installed steam on windows.

The sad unfortunate truth is that windows has WAY more games on steam so I always found myself wanting games that didn't run on Mac.

I like my mac for everything but games and right now I use bootcamp windows for that.

8. Hieveryone macrumors 68030

You definitely want to use bootcamp. Remember games like Titan Fall take up 50GB on your windows partition, so make sure you leave enough space!

Or just boot up the game from an external hard drive.

9. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

Blizzard's games run natively on OS X (WoW, Starcraft 2, Diablo III, etc), so if you already play any of those games, just download the battle.net installer and install the games through it. There's also a lot of games on Steam for the Mac as well. For other games, you either download through the Mac App Store or from the developer (ESO and STO are examples of the latter). For games that only have Windows versions, your best bet is to set up bootcamp and install games to an external drive so as not to use up all of the space on the machine itself.