Just bought a new 47" LG LCD TV!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by quagmire, May 24, 2009.

1. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

After discovering that Circuit City was bought out and saw the great deals they were offering, I opted to take advantage of them and ordered the LG 47LG70 LCD TV from TigerDirect for $1199( same parent company as Circuit City). Technically, I don't need the TV until the fall when I move into my apartment , but couldn't pass up this great deal. I am not a TV person, but from my rough understanding and haste research, it is a pretty decent TV. Full 1080p, 120 Hz refresh rate, HDMI, etc. From reviews and consumer reviews the only weakness is the speakers( just from them being invisible) and that the blacks are a bit weak, but everything else seems to be great. Anyone out there know anything more about this TV? Was it a smart buy, etc?

[​IMG]

2. war eagle macrumors 6502a

3. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

The only downside is that if something goes wrong with it, TigerDirect will not help you at all.

They've got a bad reputation for reason. As long as you know you bought something new and not refurbished, you're probably fine. But any warranty repairs that would happen would be arranged between you and LG.

Circuit City is just a name. There is no company anymore. TigerDirect bought the rights to CircuitCity.com just like they did with CompUSA. Neither exist.

So don't forget to fill out the warranty card and send it in to LG.

Otherwise, that will be a fun TV. :)

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

wow thats a great deal....

without me trying but how does this cc website now compare to newegg? anyone have experience? im sure ill be looking at both once i do need something but if anyone already knows, thatd be sweet

5. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

If the prices are even close, go with NewEgg.

I've known too many people who had problems with TigerDirect. There's a big discussion about the new "Circuit City" return policy on the front page of Slashdot today.

6. quagmire thread starter macrumors 603

quagmire

In what way? Product disinformation or just crappy customer care and return policy? Since the LG is a new unit it has the manufacture's warranty from LG. So if there is a problem, I can just contact LG.

7. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

8. quagmire thread starter macrumors 603

quagmire

9. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Ah, my fault. I didn't have my contacts in when i read the thread, and when I went to check www.tigerdirect.com , I saw that one (LG50) on the main page.

10. buffalo macrumors 65816

11. 99MustangGTman macrumors 6502

Thats a nice TV, seems like a good deal to me!

12. quagmire thread starter macrumors 603

quagmire

Gee, TigerDirect is already giving me headaches. My TV is now on backorder........

13. Sehnsucht macrumors 65816

Probably just a coincidence, but TigerDirect does have a slight reputation for being evil. You might just receive a "P-p-p-PowerBook!" instead. :D

In all seriousness though, LG TVs are the sh*t...absolutely amazing picture quality on all the ones I've seen. If you actually get it, you'll enjoy it. :cool:

14. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

out of curiosity...anyone have any experience/know anything about this Viewsonic tv?

i want it realll bad for my birthday :D

and OP, yeah LG tvs are aweeeesome, hopefully you have no problems with it.

15. Frisco macrumors 68020

Better than Sharp or Samsung?

16. Sehnsucht macrumors 65816

In my experience, from best to worst:

1. Sony
    2. LG
    3. Samsung
    4. Philips
    5. Sharp
    6. Sanyo

17. quagmire thread starter macrumors 603

quagmire

18. quagmire thread starter macrumors 603

quagmire

19. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

Hook it up! You'll be staring at all the HD goodness for quite awhile. Glad it arrived safely. Enjoy.

20. quagmire thread starter macrumors 603

quagmire

Took it out of the box today. I am somewhat disappointed with the HD channels we get for free( basically the local news channels from NBC, Fox, ABC, and CBS), but that may be due to big screens are made to be viewed from a distance...... Or just our cable signal sucks. :p

But, gaming it is amazing. Although I have read the sound is weak on this TV, it is not that bad. Yeah, it gets tinny at the high volume levels, but anything below the 60 sound level is nice and clear. Here are some vids( sorry, digital camera in movie mode quality vids) playing Battlestations: Pacific. It doesn't really show the picture and sound that you really see in real life.

http://gallery.me.com/quagmire2#100197&view=grid&bgcolor=black&sel=3

EDIT: I made the newbie( I am new to HD TV channels) mistake and forgot that even though you're on a HD channel, it doesn't mean the program is being broadcast in HD. At the time of this posting, I wasn't watching a program being broadcast in HD. But, now with my local news being on which is broadcast in HD, OMG WOW! The picture is crystal clear and almost like the person is in the room. I am not 100% completely satisfied with this TV.