Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dukeblue91

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 7, 2004
Raleigh, NC
I went out a day before yesterday and bought me a new Mac Mini at the local Apple Store, loaded it up with 2 gig of ram and she is screaming.
The best thing was I even got a better deal on the ram at the local Apple Store than I would have at Apple online, they gave me 2 gigs at $175.00 plus a 3% small business discount on the computer and accessories including the ram.
Apple online is asking $250.00 for the 2 gig ram upgrade and I don't know about the discount for small businesses.

I was really hooping for an upgrade in the processor for the Mac Mini but I could not wait any longer as I need to be able to run a Windows program for business.
However 2 gig is the way to go with Parallels, as it has not hung up yet.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
As you say it's screaming for now. And the beauty of the CD processors are that they are pin compatible with the C2Ds. So if in a couple of years your mini starts to feel a bit slow, you can open it up and put in the latest C2D for an instant 50-100% increase in speed* :)

*20-30% even with today's C2D.

Alasta

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2005
Wellington, New Zealand
Congrats. I ordered one on Friday and the freight tracking tool shows that it's being dispatched from Sydney, Australia, but it should still get to me within two business days of placing the order.

I had held out for MWSF before taking the plunge and whilst I accept that it's still quite likely that an update will occur in the next couple of months, I couldn't afford to wait any longer and I'm confident that the specifications of the current model will meet my needs fine.

dukeblue91

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 7, 2004
Raleigh, NC
As you say it's screaming for now. And the beauty of the CD processors are that they are pin compatible with the C2Ds. So if in a couple of years your mini starts to feel a bit slow, you can open it up and put in the latest C2D for an instant 50-100% increase in speed* :)

*20-30% even with today's C2D.

Yes I read this somewhere before and as long as graphics don't become to demanding in the future this is a real plus and something I would do for sure.

dukeblue91

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 7, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Congrats. I ordered one on Friday and the freight tracking tool shows that it's being dispatched from Sydney, Australia, but it should still get to me within two business days of placing the order.

I had held out for MWSF before taking the plunge and whilst I accept that it's still quite likely that an update will occur in the next couple of months, I couldn't afford to wait any longer and I'm confident that the specifications of the current model will meet my needs fine.

Congrats :D
And I know what you mean as I was in the same boat.
Sometimes you just have to go for it, and it's not like this lineup will become slower all of a sudden.

My other 3 G4 systems are in the 1.2 Ghz range and still run great and fast enough for 95% of the things I do.

I hope you'll enjoy your New Mac Mini as much as I'm enjoying mine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.