Just bought a new MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by inverder, Aug 8, 2008.

1. inverder macrumors newbie

Hi everybody,

I just purchased a new MacBook 2.1Ghz from the local Apple store. It is my first Mac so I thought I would share my experience.

Not only have I been a Windows based PC user for years, I am also studying Computer Science. Much of my studies are done in a Windows environment. My reasons for the "switch" are not based off of a hate for Windows. I am an early adopter of Vista and although I have had a few problems, I still think it is a nice upgrade over XP.

So what brings me here...

Well I will be studying abroad in Germany for a year starting this fall and I needed a notebook. I hate Windows based notebooks. It might just be that I am used to dual monitors, but Windows on a notebook feels cluttered. I disdain the small trackpads and that it takes me forever to locate a window that has been opened into the taskbar. I knew that was not the way I wanted to go.

Last summer I interned with an organization that had me working with a couple of XServes. I grew to appreciate the OS for its UNIX base and clever design aspects. There were things that I hated of course. Why did each application have its own definition of maximize or why was there only one toolbar for every open window! Nonetheless, I decided to look to Apple for my notebook choice.

I spent countless hours this summer pouring over websites such as MacRumors debating over which MacBook was right for me. I spent even longer contemplating whether or not Apple would upgrade the darn thing before I left. In the end I decided that the base MacBook was right for me and the free iPod touch was too lucrative of a deal to pass up even if I would be missing out on a nice Aluminum shell.

Yesterday, I left work early and headed out to the nearest Apple store. I had been there before so I headed straight to the MacBooks. After a few minutes of playing I was approached by a trainer. He looked pretty scruffy, dressed in jeans and a worn t-shirt so it took me awhile to register an answer to his question, "Do you need any help?". Eventually I noticed the Apple logo on his sleeve and quickly replied "Yes, I'd like to buy a MacBook." Within a few minutes a sales rep was swiping my credit card on a portable cash register device. He even emailed me my receipt. Very fancy.

I left the store quite pleased with my purchase. Not only had I gotten a free iPod touch, I had been surprised by a free printer. Redeeming the rebates online at home made it even better. Good deal.

Setting up my MacBook was just as easy. I plugged it in, started it up, and had the internet running right away. Although, I have not had much time with my new purchase, I have already found a few features that I can not help but love. The so called "maximize" that I had despised earlier makes perfect sense for a notebook. The window only takes up as much space as it needs, which is a blessing for only 13.3" of real estate. The track pad is huge compared to any other one I have used before. Best of all, it has two finger scrolling to compensate for my loss of a scroll wheel. I can even see how the universal toolbar helps to reduce clutter.

I look forward to finding out what else my MacBook has to offer. I just wanted to thank you guys for your help. Even though this is my first post, I have been an avid reader for sometime. Your discussions definitely helped guide me.

2. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

3. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

4. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

Congratulations!! Hope you get a perfect machine.

5. grp318 macrumors newbie

I am also new to the apple line and will be buying a macbook next week. I have heard the rumors of the new machines coming out in September. Are they true and worth the wait?

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

7. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

You are gonna have so much fun. I have had my macs for a year and I am still very excited about the switch and am still learning.

Probably and probably unless you like the current form. If you can wait, then you can decide which one you like better.

8. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Congratulations and welcome. I'm a recent switcher too, I bought my first MBP in April, after a decade and a half in the twilight zone and it is the best computer I have ever had. You'll love it. Give yourself time to adjust to the differences (easy, but they do :apple::apple:exist), ask questions (this forum is great; I've also found staff at the Apple store where I bought to have been very helpful) and enjoy the pleasure of excellent design and smooth function. Good luck.

:apple: MBP 15.4", 2.4 ghz, 2 GB RAM, 160 HDD
    :apple: iPod classic, black, 30 GB

9. kabunaru Guest

10. dino0829 macrumors member

Welcome Aboard

Congrats! You've entered an exciting new world. I actually got tired of waiting for the redesign, and ordered my new "BlancBook," a white 2.4 today. I'm a lifelong Mac fan, and sooo excited to get my new baby.

11. apulk macrumors newbie

Congrats. I entered the Mac world 3 years ago after being in the Windows IS world for 20 years. I now have two and am about to buy my 3rd. You won't regret it.

12. huorpalantir macrumors newbie

Hi inverder,
    I'm going to study with Computer Science in September and, coincidentally, I happen to plan on switching from PC to Mac before I start, so it's interesting to read your story. The only thing that has actually kept me from buying a MacBook is the upcoming update. I have the money, I have the spirit :p, I just don't want to stick with a notebook that's already outdated in a few weeks after purchase.

The main reason of my "switch" is simply that I want more to choose from. I'm not a Windows-hater and with my study there are still lots of programs I'm going to need XP for. That's OK for me, because I like XP. Apart from that: I love OS X, not just the graphical interface, but the features too. So my intention would be to use XP when I'm at college and OS X in my spare time.

:apple:

13. sn00pie macrumors 6502a

sn00pie

Congrats and welcome to the website! I'm going to be buying my MacBook in a few weeks, it's not a matter if buying or not, its just a matter of time for me now. I absolutely cannot wait to make the switch to the Mac side of things.

Post some pictures of that machine! :)

14. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

Good for you! Yeah, MR helped dash my worries and concerns before I switched as well.

15. HandleVandal Guest

HandleVandal

16. inverder thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone for the kind comments.

Most of my classes are based around a Microsoft environment, specifically the .NET framework. Microsoft does a great job of providing development tools (Visual Studio 2008 is a great product!) to universities.

That being said, I don't plan on ditching Windows anytime soon and that means I'll being keeping my desktop. I'm figuring that I'll just use my MacBook for traveling abroad and for just browsing the internet when I am not sitting at my desk. I don't know what your program requires, but I would think twice about having a laptop as your main computer with Computer Science. My university does have fantastic computer labs, but I enjoy working from my room too. It is just much easier to develop with a tower based computer with a nice monitor or two. This is just my opinion of course, and I do have friends in the program who only have laptops and they seem to do just fine.

17. Samwise592 macrumors regular

You made a good choice. You won't regret it.

I made the switch a little over a year ago, couldn't love my MacBook more :cool:

18. huorpalantir macrumors newbie

I think having a second system (be it a Mac or a PC) is something not every student can afford. But I agree with you that working in your own room on a large screen is nice, so I plan to buy an external screen with my laptop as well as a keyboard and mouse. Then it feels more like a desktop computer.
    I thought long and hard on this and I'm still not sure. My university provides a laptop at a large discount to students every year (which is called the 'laptopproject' in the Netherlands). This year it's an HP 8510w mobile workstation for 885 euros. The package includes an laptop stand with keyboard and mouse, Windows XP, a laptop backpack and 3 years warranty on campus. It's an extraordinary tempting deal, but so is a MacBook :eek:.

Since my uni is using XP the most logical choice would be the 'laptopproject', but still I want to switch to Mac. Is OS X still the real deal for me or should I just wait to adopt a Mac until I can afford it again? :confused:

:apple: