Just bought a Ps3; which exclusive games to get?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by zero2dash, Aug 8, 2008.

1. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Long time no lurk :D

Well I bought a Ps3 earlier today; specifically one that "has no video" for $144 on eBay. No HD either. Hopefully resetting the video/doing the auto-sensing reset and throwing in a new 5400rpm 2.5" drive nets me a like-new Ps3 for 1/2 the price, but I won't know for sure 'til it comes next week. (Apparently several other people on [H] forum have bought systems from the same seller and they've worked fine; similar "no video" auctions.)

Anyway -
    I'm looking for ideas on which *exclusive* games to get. No multiplatform...most of the FPS I own on PC now that I've built 2 strong gaming computers. (Orange Box, Bioshock, UT2004, Stalker, CoD4, FEAR)

What are the GOOD Ps3 exclusives?
    Off the top of my head -

-I'll buy Heavenly Sword no matter what. (I'm a sucker for masher/beat-em-ups ala GoW and NG2)
    -Resistance: FoM
    -Ratchet & Clank: Future Perfect
    -Metal Gear Solid 4 (guess I sorta have to buy it since it's probably the best game on the system...? :confused:)

Off the PSN I'll probably grab Super Stardust HD, fl0w, Pain, and PixelJunk Racers.

How is Motor Storm? I like arcade racers. That fits the bill, I assume?
    How is Uncharted?

Any other titles you guys want to recommend - please do so.

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Good job zero....add me and we'll get some matches going.

I would suggest:

WarHawk....multiplayer fun and a big community that grows constantly
    Uncharted because its a all around good game and if you are a trophy whore you'll love it to death.
    Motorstorm is a good game....a little lean on content but its a greatest hit so the price should be a bargain.

The others you name are great games as well and should be owned by all PS3 owners....MGS4, Ratchet N Clank mos def.

PSN Titles:
    Everyday Shooter
    Pixel Junk Eden
    Pixel Junk Monsters
    Siren: Blood Curse if you're into survival horror games.

I must recommend Battlefield: Bad Company's multiplayer.

Bless

3. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

^ Dude, say what? Motorstorm is pretty fuull after all the updates/add ons. I would wait for Motorstorm Pacific Rift this fall but...

If you don;t have a 360, just a gaming rig (aren't they nice? :D) I would try Burnout Paradise. Huge FREE updates on it, and it fun. Motorbikes (and possibly planes...) are coming with a free update this month.

I 2nd Uncharted, it's absolutely worth a run through.

4. zero2dash thread starter macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Will do guys...
    Yeah I forgot about Warhawk, now I remember both of you talking a lot about that game before though.

sikkinixx, no I still have my Wii60 as well ;)
    My 360 is being repaired right now...or rather 'exchanged' for another system. First I had a 2nd RRoD, then they left a sheet of stickers inside of it on top of that, and then I sent it in for them to remove them and they didn't!
    http://consumerist.com/5027192/microsoft-left-a-sheet-of-stickers-inside-my-xbox-360
    (I wish it was a lie - but it isn't.) :eek:

5. BlackMax macrumors 6502a

BlackMax

I second Uncharted: Drakes Fortune and Ratchet & Clank Tools of Destruction. We've finished both in my house and thoroughly enjoyed them.

6. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

litle big planet. it isn't out yet, but it's an exclusive i'm really looking forward to!

7. zero2dash thread starter macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Yeah, LBP + Resistance 2 + KillZone 2 are going to all be sweet. And of course God of War 3, whenever that comes out.

I'm screwed this winter.
    LBP + Fable 2 + Gears of War 2 = negative amounts of free time. On top of trying to play through many of the other games I own and am in the middle of (so many, I've lost count).

8. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

If it makes you feel any better, Fable II will likely be just like Fable 1 and every other LionHead game, that being BIG promises with small returns. Sadly, I'll still buy it anyways.....

9. evan g macrumors regular

im gonna hav 2 go with 2ny on this one. bad company brings the battlefield experience to the consoles. and uncharted is too beautiful not to own!

i also reccomend pain, because it is actually fun and it lets you play your music ingame

10. XianPalin macrumors 6502

XianPalin

Definitely Heavenly Sword and Ratchet and Clank, those two are my favorites out of everything I've played so far.

11. zero2dash thread starter macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

~update

The Ps3 I bought a few weeks ago for $144 has a video issue where no video would work other than with HDMI > DVI. (No go on HDMI > HDMI, av composite, or component; I didn't bother with s-video but I assume it wouldn't work either)

I tried reflowing the RSX gpu with a heat gun and that didn't work, so my 2nd idea was to buy another broken system (for as cheap as possible) and use the working board from system #2 to build a franken-Ps3. :D Last week I bought a broken Ps3 system, "unit does not power on" - $64. Yes, sixty four dollars. It didn't come with any video cable, power cable, USB cable, or Sixaxis - which is why it went for so cheap (probably). I got it today. Let me do this in detail... (quickly and abbreviated though)

1) UPS drops off package
    2) I hook up "no power" Ps3 #2
    3) Flip switch in the back - red standby light comes on. That's a positive sign.
    4) Switch TV to HDMI 1 input...take a deep breath - press and hold Ps3 power button. Light turns green - [continue to hold for a few more seconds] - BEEP - light blinks once and is green still. (this resets the video to default and forces the system to autodetect the video output being used)
    5) My tv goes black. "Weak or no signal" box disappears.
    6) "HDMI connection has been found. Use?" [choose Yes]
    7) "Use optimal screen resolution?" [choose Yes] OK on 1080i
    8) 1-2 seconds later, Ps3 startup sound starts, followed by "Sony Computer Entertainment Presents" with the wave in the background.

IT. FRICKIN'. WORKS. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    At the time I didn't put my WD 160g HD in yet because I wanted to try it on first. So it told me the "no HD found, cannot continue" thing.

I grabbed a can of compressed air and proceeded to clean it REAL GOOD. Whomever used to own it was a smoker or they lived in a house with a smoker because there was nasty tobacco in the vents all over the place. (ick) Clean it out real good, wipe it off...shines up REAL GOOD. Make a makeshift HD caddy out of paper ($0), put in my HD, hook it back up, power it back on once again and I haven't looked back since.

I updated the firmware to 2.42 and downloaded some demos.

I ran Folding@home for about an hour to stress it, and then I played it for probably 4 hours after that.

-Pixeljunk Eden is incredible :eek:
    -Pixeljunk Racers is fun
    -Echodrome is pretty neat
    -Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction is awesome :)
    -Resistance: Fall of Man is pretty cool (played it before)
    -Super Stardust HD I didn't really like too much; I can't believe people say it's better than Geometry Wars. pfft whatever ;) not in my book. :)

My first game bought will probably be Pixeljunk Eden followed by Ratchet & Clank Future: ToD and then Resistance: FoM.

I'm gonna stop by Blockbuster tomorrow and rent...something. ;)

The other one I have that is FUBAR'd - I'm either going to part it out (if my working one needs a replacement BD-ROM, although it's read everything else I've tried tonight - I'm going to rent a Ps3 game or Bluray movie tomorrow to test it). Otherwise I may keep it for now and get it repaired out of warranty for $150 by Sony down the road, and then turn around and re-sell it.

(picture from first startup)
    [​IMG]

Best $64 I've ever spent. :D :D :D

12. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

So your $133 PS3 didn't work at all?

Still a PS3 for $197 is still an awesome deal and you still have a spare case and components to make a mod or something in the future.

Did you get Metal Gear Solid 4 yet? Also Gran Turismo 5 Prologue is a great game if you enjoy sim racers and preferably if you can afford a wheel to hook it up (Logitech).

Also, if you haven't purchased Devil May Cry 4 then do so, the PS3 version is the second best (PC being the best) because the horrible d-pad on the 360 is a bitch when playing Dante. Awesome beat 'em up.

13. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

EDIT: Wait wait wait.... so you didn't even need to repair the $64 PS3? It just worked? Woah.

Here's good ones.
    -Uncharted (I guess it's a bit short, but it's fun)
    -MGS4 (Yes, you need it)
    -Warhawk (Great online, many cool expansion packs)
    -Ratchet and Clank Future (I love R&C games :D)
    -Motorstorm (Just wait for Pacific Rift)
    -Resistance (Good length single player, great multi)

Also some upcoming releases.
    -Motorstorm Pacific Rift (Way more features then Motorstorm 1)
    -SOCOM COnfrontation (Another, probably, great online game)
    -LittleBigPlanet (Very interesting, and from what I played, VERY FUN :D)
    -Resistance 2 (It's R2! With 60 player online too ;))
    -Killzone 2 (Look's great)

14. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Excellent Zero.....wheres your PSN?

Pixel Junk Eden is crack dude I haven't played anything other than for weeks. The game is super hard.....Garden 7 will eat you alive man.

Enjoy your Cheap purchase;)

Bless

15. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

PixelJunk Monsters (+ Encore) is fantastic.
    Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds
    Valkyria Chronicles (in November)
    Mirror's Edge (not exclusive, but PS3 is lead platform)

And grats on getting a steal on that PS3.

16. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

17. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

I used to be a hardcore gamer many many moons ago, so please explain this to me, because I just don't get it. I was a hardcore gamer, but I just cared about which were the best games I could get to play, not about whether or not it was an exclusive title. Why does a game being exclusive to your machine matter? Is it just so you can have something to try to rub in your friends' faces who bought one of the other machines?

18. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

"Yes" is the only possible answer to that question. I would take "friends" out of the question, though. Rather, it would be rubbing it in the face of anyone who bought the other system.

...And Bank, Z2D! Awesome buy and quite a bit of luck on your part.

19. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

As he said. He does lot's of gaming on his PC and wants to focus on getting EXCLUSIVES that he can't get on his PC.

20. zero2dash thread starter macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

^^^ Exactly right.
    Most multiplatform stuff (if it has online play), I will (now) get on Ps3 because I can play it over PSN at $0 cost. (I no longer have Xbox Live 'Gold' and I don't plan on paying for it again now that I'm more active on Steam as well as will be more active with PSN.)

FPS I prefer keyboard+mouse (and the free Steam use) so I'll grab any multiplatform FPS on PC instead of on a console.

To answer some of the other questions - :)

-my PSN ID is zero2dash (of course) and I've sent a few of you friend requests (who's ID I found here); I'll dig around and try to find more of y'all. ;)
    -my Steam ID is also zero2dash. When I'm on Steam, 75% of the time I'm playing TF2 and the other 25% I'm playing Audiosurf... but I do have CoD4, FEAR, STALKER, and of course (the free) Half-Life 2: Deathmatch. :)

-Yeah, the other 60gb I bought previously for $144 has no video output. If I need it, I'm going to swap the $144 #1 BD-ROM drive in with the working one I bought for $64 (if that one, #2 doesn't have a working Bluray drive). If it DOES have a working Bluray drive, I'll probably wait 'til I get some more $$$ and pay Sony the $150 for out-of-warranty repair on it; then possibly resell it after its fixed. #1 does have a working Bluray drive, it just does not output video on anything other than either of my computer LCD's via HDMI > DVI.

-Haven't bought any games yet, I think i'll be buying PJ Eden this weekend and after work I'm heading to Gamestop with my 25% off used Ps3 games coupon in hand to (hopefully) pick something up. If they have a used copy of Heavenly Sword, it's mine, otherwise I may pick up Resistance: FoM or Warhawk ('til next payday, and then I'll get a few more games). ;)

-and yeah, I didn't have to do anything to $64 one. the eBay auction said "does not power on", but that's all I tried to do and it worked. Needed a good cleaning with a can of compressed air and a wipe down with a damp cloth, but otherwise - I've done nothing to it other than enjoy it. :D

If anyone else is interested in buying one or wondering - I bought both systems off eBay from "2ndturn-closeouts".
    http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZ2ndturn-closeouts
    They primarily work through Dealtree and apparently buy broken electronics in bulk and then list them on eBay. I will be buying a 3rd item from them in the future; my brother in law wants to get a 360, so I'm going to buy a RRoD 360 from this same seller and fix it for him. :) (That is, if Microsoft doesn't fix it free under warranty and apparently people have been able to easily get them to do that.) :D

They have a TON of systems, not only Ps3 but also 360, PSP, DS, even Ps2. (As well as tons of other stuff.)

21. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

Oh! I thought he meant exclusive to the PS3 as opposed to the 360 or Wii.

22. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Woah! You're my hero. Thanks for the coupon link! :) I'm stopping by Gamestop after work, then.

23. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Added you on Steam and PSN. Actually, I'm a Steam noob and just have Counter Strike Source. My next purchase will be TF2 (even if I have it for PS3). Probably sometime next week or next month :).

24. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Good on ye Zero... :)

Motorstorm is a great racing game, but the bloody load times kill me. You could make a sandwich , have a cup of tea and take the dog for a walk in the time it takes to load the different vehicles from the vehicle selection screen before you race.

Did they sort it out with the recent budget release I wonder.. The patches made no difference....

25. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

I would buy MGS4 or Uncharted. These are top-notch platform-specific games, that really show the PS3 potential. They are also great fun. I would also recommend Gran Turismo, but the high level of realism may intimidate you...