Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Arkados

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 10, 2010
I just purchased the refurbished version of the 15in top end retina macbook pro. I have the 13in model now, generation before the mid-year bump, and since I use it for graphic design I just felt crammed with the 13in screen and felt like the lack of storage and being constrained to the dual core i5 was making me rethink the future proofness of my purchase. My brother has a 15in and I love the real-estate, his is an earlier model though that still has optical drive and non retina so its super heavy. Thoughts on this?

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
I just purchased the refurbished version of the 15in top end retina macbook pro. I have the 13in model now, generation before the mid-year bump, and since I use it for graphic design I just felt crammed with the 13in screen and felt like the lack of storage and being constrained to the dual core i5 was making me rethink the future proofness of my purchase. My brother has a 15in and I love the real-estate, his is an earlier model though that still has optical drive and non retina so its super heavy. Thoughts on this?

If you think the older 15in is super heavy you need to hit the gym, badly.

Enjoy your new MBP.

Jizzles

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2010
I think it's funny when people complain about the weight of laptops...several years ago when there were no ultrabooks/mba/etc....were people not carrying laptops then?

Arkados

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 10, 2010
If you think the older 15in is super heavy you need to hit the gym, badly.

Enjoy your new MBP.

Ha I'm not saying it is heavy in general just in comparison. Like going from a larger phone down to someones Iphone back in the day. Compared to my 13in MBP my brothers 15in with a mechanical hard drive and optical drive is sac of bricks.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Heavier but not much

It's a lot lighter than the cMBP 15, and I think you'll be fine, it's not as portable as the 13 of course but thats the trade off you make, the rMBP 15 is about the same as the old cMBP 13 should be fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.