Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DataEast

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2011
How would I go about getting Microsoft Word on here? I'm new to Macs but on my PC's I would get some sort of version for free off a website but I'm not sure where. I'd really appreciate it if anyone could help.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
How would I go about getting Microsoft Word on here? I'm new to Macs but on my PC's I would get some sort of version for free off a website but I'm not sure where. I'd really appreciate it if anyone could help.
Microsoft Word is not free software. You can buy it here: Word for Mac

DataEast

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2011
No I've downloaded it multiple times for free. Or maybe it was a slight substitute? I think it was called Office 2010 or something. I'll find it.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
No I've downloaded it multiple times for free. Or maybe it was a slight substitute? I think it was called Office 2010 or something. I'll find it.
Office for Mac is never free. If you download it free, it's pirated software. It's not wise to use stolen software, as many such apps have been known to include malware. There are alternatives to MS Office that are legitimately free.

I prefer MS Office for Mac, for maximum compatibility with Windows users. If you don't want MS Office or can't afford it, there are many alternatives, such as iWork, NeoOffice, LibreOffice, OpenOffice, Google Docs, etc. Searching the forum will reveal dozens of threads discussing these various alternatives and the pros and cons of each, such as this small sampling:

DataEast

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2011
Thanks guys, I've heard a lot about LibreOffice. I think I'll do that.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012

What? software cost money? ;)

To be fair, computers used to come bundled with everyday-use stuff, but I guess now they doing the a-la-carte model like the airlines. :( I had expected the Mac to come with their in-house word processing/spreadsheet at least but NOOoooooo they want $20 or something.

If u work for a corporation, there is an ongoing (huge) corporate discount going down. I got my Office 2011 for $10 (ten) bux! Ask your HR for details.

Now if I can get a nice and cheap Win7 for dual-boot...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.