Just bought a refurbished Time Capsule from the apple store (1TB 2009)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by shenfrey, May 3, 2011.

1. shenfrey, May 3, 2011
    Last edited: May 3, 2011

shenfrey macrumors 68000

It was £144 as oppose to £239 so huge savings as far as I'm concerned and as a bonus I had a little bit left over for an Ipad Case(1st Gen 3G). Are the reburbisheds just as good as the new ones? Anything I should be aware of?

Thanks guys : )

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. shenfrey thread starter macrumors 68000

wow after reading that link in some ways buying refurbished is even safer then buying brand new! I have gotten an absolute bargain, thanks : )

4. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

I came across this thread because I'm thinking about buying that exact same model in the US refurb store. It says that it's the October 2009 model - OP, is that the one you bought? If so, how are you liking it a few months later? Also, does anyone know if these were in the batch that had all the infamous problems?

5. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

The new ones that came out fall 2009 doesn't have the problem. I bought mine brand new back then and it's been 20+ months and still as good as day one. Couldn't be happier.

6. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

Apple published a range of serial numbers for 1st-gen Time Capsules that had problems, and any 2009 model will certainly not be in that list. Some people will argue that Apple still hasn't fixed the problem, considering it to be more of a design problem than a defective capacitor problem. My own opinion is that the newer ones (including the 2009 ones) are fine, but then again I'm the owner of a 1st-gen one (within the "problem" range) that has worked flawlessly for over three years...:)

7. thedon1 macrumors 6502

Are there any differences between the October 2009 and new 2011 models in therms of wireless connectivity?

8. urkel macrumors 68030

What about the 18month failure rate?

I had the original 500GB Time Capsule that failed almost exactly at the 18mo mark. Apple replaced it but that failed too last year. The problem seems to be the heat in these tiny boxes make the capacitors bulge, so while I don't know how 09 models are holding up, the problem may still exist. And as a brand new 2011 TC owner then I'm considering returning it for an Airport Extreme + External HDD because even with a lower powered drive (5400rpm WD Green) then it still gets pretty hot.

So check around how 2009 Time Capsule owners are holding up because the worst thing that can happen if your main drive goes out is to find out your backup failed also.